Thread: Freelance Video Editing jobs...?

Default Freelance Video Editing jobs...?

Hey, I don't know if this is where I should put this or not, but heres my question:

I'm currently 16 and almost done highschool, I've been editing and such since 2002, I have made a few home movies, ripped some DVD footages and made music videos out of them and such,. etc.
    I work with these programs;

Photoshop
    Sony Vegas
    VirtualDubMod

I understand most if not all aspects of video editing; framerate, colour spaces, aspect ratios, interlaced/progressive and codecs such as XVID, MPEG4, h.264

as you can see I'm pretty limited to video editing only, is this the only skill I would need to advanced in video industries?

I was wondering what I could expect from one of those freelance job sites as a video editor? I have never did a job for anyone yet, and have no idea what it will be like... I enjoy editing alot and would like to advance in this field.

Any advice on what I should be studying or reading up on to get more into the video industrie? And where could I find a job doing it?

Thanks.

Good place to start. If you really want to get serious about the Video Industry I'm afraid you're probably not going to like what I'm about to say...

You'd probably start of as something like an Editors' assistant which basically means you'll be running around fetching him drinks and bringing him tapes. You might get to play around on the software once he's finished and this is how you'll learn the Industry standard software. Next you can head up to being an assistant editor so you'll play some part in the cutting of the video but your next big step is to get found out because of your uniqueness. Try and offer something other editors don't and you'll be sure to get a job which you can use your skills in. Might be an idea to read up on the Filming and DVD Authoring sides of Video Production as well though because it never hurts to know what happens before and after the video gets to you!!
    www.nothingissound.co.uk // http://www.youtube.com/user/truebassist

Sony DSR-PDX10 // Sony Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x // Sony ECM-NV1 // RØDE NTG-1 // Dolly [coming soon]

Adobe CS4 Master Suite // MacBook Pro Alu 2.4Ghz

Blog Entries

I am no careers advisor of media pro but my friend recently completed an MA in documentary film making and had a first in grafix - she got an assistant editors job on about 13 grand a year, in london....

I started off as a runner at a production company. I had to do all the rubbish that nobody else did - but I got to use their Avid editing kit when everyone else had finished. I think there is still a culture of 'promoting from within' for technical jobs - and that means starting at the bottom and getting on with learning the equipment your company uses.
    That said even a runners position can be hard to get - it took me months to find a position with a company in London - and I had to fight off a lot of competition to get it.
    As for skills for an editor, the industry seems to have swung towards FCP. I'm still an Avid man but then I just hate change! I do believe that editing is a skill, and the software is just a tool so you can always learn new kit. After Effects is also a good skill to have - even just basic stuff for titling etc. And Photoshop is a must. In reality the whole codec thing is important, but not make or break for an editor. If you could make up some decent DVDs then that would be a bonus. Also learning about how audio is laid out and exported for a mix, OMFI file export etc would be good practical stuff to know.
    Corporate Video Production
    Advertising for TV, Radio & Online

www.cherryuk.com

Quote Originally Posted by ayim View Post
    Hey, I don't know if this is where I should put this or not, but heres my question:

I'm currently 16 and almost done highschool, I've been editing and such since 2002, I have made a few home movies, ripped some DVD footages and made music videos out of them and such,. etc.
    I work with these programs;

Photoshop
    Sony Vegas
    VirtualDubMod

I understand most if not all aspects of video editing; framerate, colour spaces, aspect ratios, interlaced/progressive and codecs such as XVID, MPEG4, h.264

as you can see I'm pretty limited to video editing only, is this the only skill I would need to advanced in video industries?

I was wondering what I could expect from one of those freelance job sites as a video editor? I have never did a job for anyone yet, and have no idea what it will be like... I enjoy editing alot and would like to advance in this field.

Any advice on what I should be studying or reading up on to get more into the video industrie? And where could I find a job doing it?

Thanks.
    Ayim hi,
    Where are you based?
    I am in London and I am looking for someone to introduce me to video editing. I suppose tutoring is what I require although I could instruct several projects if I find it too time consuming for me personaly.

Open for anyones suggestions please pm me.

Default Freelance editing

try adding your details to the freelance television directory at Video & Film Directory - free directory listings:: free directory listings for film and video industry
    It's free to add a listing so give it a try

7. Default

I think if she masters softwares like Adobe Premiere, Adobe after effects and encore she can do perfectly well
    as an editor

There are actually a lot of rooms for you to develop your editing skills. One is by entering into the world of freelance where you get to work as a freelance editor. You get to develop your skills here since it's the contractors needs and wants that you need to do. You can try oDesk, Elance, Freelancer and many other outsourcing sites. There you can bid for editing jobs/projects. Of course you have to bid a reasonable price because there are a lot of competition. I suggest you do simple editing jobs first where you can easily get the job done for you to build your reputation since you can get a good rating and feedback once you've done the job well.

Most probably you get paid by every project - not by the hour OR that actually depends on you or the contractor. You can read this article: http://www.timedoctor.com/blog/2011/...ow-to-use-them
    It might help you land your freelance job - this article gives a lot of ideas on how contractors hire people offshore.

Default Freelance Video Editing jobs for me

Hey there! My name is Rajith Maligaspe and I'm from Sri Lanka.
    I love video editing and I do it as a hobby.
    I am 18 and I am almost finished with my schooling, as it's only a matter of 3 months before my Advanced Level examinations. I am looking for a video editing job which I can apply to. I am a rapid learner, and I learn something new about video editing almost all the time.
    I have been doing video editing all my life, starting all the way from Windows Movie Maker for Windows ME. I fully understand all aspects of Video Editing from technical terms to practical application.
    I am very fluent with the following softwares:
    1. Sony Vegas Pro 11
    2. Adobe Photoshop CS3 and later
    3. Pinnacle Studio 11
    4. Particle Illusion

Could anyone please help me with any recommendations with video editing jobs so that I could advance and expand my knowledge in this field? I haven't done any jobs like this before, and this would be my first time.
    I would REALLY appreciate the help guys, thnx!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R2hgio630 View Post
    can any of you guys do this for me?
    If you're offering work,. probably best to post in the "Professionals" section and give some indication of budget/timescale etc.
    Tim