Thread: If you are considering buying a camera that shoots AVCHD you need to see this!

Smile If you are considering buying a camera that shoots AVCHD you need to see this!

Note: You can either read what I typed here or just see this handy video that I uploaded to Youtube that explains in detail what I have done.

When I was searching for an HD video camera to purchase, I did some very thorough research. The one difficulty that I had when doing this research

though, was the need to know what video quality an AVCHD video camera would produce. After scouring the internet I ended up with no videos that showed

what the camera had to offer in terms of video quality. I eventually ended up taking a leap of faith and purchased the HDR-UX1 from Sony's AVCHD lineup

of cameras. It ended up being a very solid camera.

In my desire to fix the difficulties that I faced when buying an HD video camera, I have created several (18 to be precise) test videos with my new

camera. Each of these will showcase the various quality settings of the camera.

The Sony HDR-UX1 came with four quality settings:

-HDHQ+: 12 Megabits-per-second recording quality.

-HDHQ: 9 Megabits-per-second recording quality.

-HDSP: 7 Megabits-per-second recording quality.

-HDLP: 5 Megabits-per-second recording quality.

The camera records at a native 1080p 1440x1080i but with Sony Vegas it can be re-rendered to any quality that you prefer.

I recorded 8 clips outside my house, each of varying quality from the HDHQ+ to HDLP and rendered them in both AVI and WMV for quality and size purposes.

There are also two clips that I resized to 720p and uploaded to Vimeo for HD streaming.
    Overall the shooting for the clips only took 30 minutes, but the editing itself took hours because it required constant rendering of each video. Its finally finished though, I hope you like it!

You can find all 18 of the various video clips taken with my HDR-UX1 at: Who Is Matt? - The Sony AVCHD Quality Test

Western Europe

What conclusion did you come to after watching the clips? Does the Sony HDR-UX1 do all the things it claims to do or does it fall short in terms of video quality? A lot of us are still sitting on the fence regarding camcorders that record in avchd format (a version of mpeg) and might prefer to go for a 'real' a hi def camcorder instead.