Thread: Free 'premiere' of My DDR T-Shirt

Default Free 'premiere' of My DDR T-Shirt

Off and on, I've been making a documentary about East Germany (the DDR) for the last three years. It's called My DDR T-Shirt.

It's 55 minutes long and a little too big to export just now (I'll break it down into chunks one of these days). In the meantime, I've organised a free screening at Fuel Bar, Withington, Manchester.

It's on Tuesday 17th June, so if you're near, pop and take a look.

To find out more, take a look at My DDR T-Shirt Hompage.

Thanks
    AMD Sempron 2500, 1gb RAM, 120gb and 80gb hard drives. All editing done on Magix Movie Edit Pro 2004.

Blog Entries

Much respect Ian - that looks like an amazing project.

I am in awe of anyone who sees such a huge project through - I have been six years learning this craft and am just considering starting a real big gritty project - it's daunting.

Love the title.

Look forward to seeing the film.

Thanks for the reply. I found the transition from short films to something longer a big learning curve - but hugely rewarding. As for your 'gritty' project, I'd say make a start and have a go.

At different times throughout the making of My DDR T-Shirt, I wondered if it would ever get finished. At these times, I used to console myself with knowing that making a documentary about a subject you're into is a great way to learn. Even if the film never happens, you've learnt about the subject and learnt a bit more about interviewing, production and filmmaking generally.

If you like, I'd happily send you one of the preview copies. Just go to My DDR T-Shirt Hompage and email me your postal address. This offer goes to anyone but I can't guarantee to send one to everyone who asks.

On another note, can anyone recommend a good way to export a 55 minute film for web? Should I break it into chapters or leave it as one? And can anyone recommend screen resolutions, formats and bit rates?

Thanks

By the way, the signature below shows my old hardware set up. It wasn't able to handle My DDR T-Shirt. When I rediscover how to change this info, I'll change it!
    AMD Sempron 2500, 1gb RAM, 120gb and 80gb hard drives. All editing done on Magix Movie Edit Pro 2004.

If you really want to deliver it via the net to people in a manner analagous to giving out free DVDs then I would recommend a DivX. If you have shot in PAL interlaced then leave the pixel aspect and resolution the same, divx supports all that.

This will probably result in a ~1GB file if you render at a decent bitrate (2500-3000 I would say), you may want to do a half res or lower quality version, but it is so easy to find free webspace these days that you may as well go for the quality. It's simple to embed divx, just use the code generator - you can have the file in one place, and embed it on your movie site.

Also, with a file of this type, many DVD players will play a divx, but if you didn't touch PAR, resolution, framerate etc then it should look great on a TV if converted to DVD. Nero and such should be able to transcode it no problem.