Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for writing a script.

1. Default Help for writing a script.

Hi all. I'm very new to this site, and to filmmaking in general, but I have recently discovered a passion for it I never knew I had. In fact, I've already started working on my first movie (in my head, anyway), but I'm not really sure where to go now. I've been reading other people's posts on here, and I've learned a good bit already, but I didn't see anything that addressed my issue (if I missed it and am just reposting old stuff, sorry.)

I've already downloaded a piece of scriptwriting software that I think (or hope, anyway) will work well for this, but I'm really not sure what to do with it. I'm really great with computers, and I know how to use the software, but I don't have a clue about the format of a script and what to put where and how. Like, how to write scene descriptions, what terminology to use, how to number/name scenes, where to put characters' name, and so on. The software I got (Cinergy's free Script Editor, link) has preset functions for all these things, but like I said, I don't know what order they're supposed to go in or how to write them.

I know that's probably a lot of material to cover, but maybe if someone could just give me the basics, I'm usually pretty good and filling in the blanks and going from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm really excited about starting my first project!

-- The Old Duke

There are plenty of script sites about but one of the best is Script-o-rama - Download a couple and have a look at them which will definately show you the structuring

3. Default

That's awesome, exactly what I needed! Thanks shiner, and for the quick reply!

Default Final draft

And treat yourself to a copy of final draft, if you're into screenwriting - and I only got into film making because of my screenwriting - you'll be so glad you did in the long term.

Or have a look at Celtx software downloads and reviews at Download.com

Celtx 0.9.9

Freeware scriptwriting/storyboard creation software.

6. Default

Thanks for the continued tips, everybody. After reading over several of the scripts on Script-O-Rama, however, I've noticed that their structure is really pretty simple. It seems, to my admittedly untrained eye, that one could write the exact same thing using any word processor. What is the advantage of using some sort of script-writing software instead of a regular word processor? Also, what exactly is the storyboard that Nikosony mentioned? Hate to sound like such a newbie, but I appreciate everyone's patience.

The difference between using a word processor and actual scriptwriting software is in the formatting. If you use a word processor you will have to set up the formatting yourself (and will take much longer to do) whereas if you use dedicated software it will do the formatting for you.

Scripts can be very simple when you start out but if you get into scriptwriting in a big way for future projects then doing it the right way helps everyone when it comes to shooting. You will have noticed that looking at movie scripts they are set out in a certain way and certain keywords are used, they are done like this as a tv station or movie studio would not accept them done out any other way.

Personally I think it's good to have an already established standard that you can copy and use for setting out your own scripts, it gets you into that professional frame of mind right from the start. Storyboarding is where you draw images to represent key moments in the script in order to visualise how a particular shot will look, again like scripts they can be stick figures when you start out and if you do turn professional then learning to draw or hiring an illustrator will certainly improve the imagery.

8. Default

Wow, that CeltX software is amazing! Even I find it simple and easy to use. I've already gotten my first three scenes written, and it looks great! Thanks so much for the link!

If you complete your project using Celtx, let us know how you got on with the software as I've only had a brief chance to use it.

Hi,

What are the most common tasks you do that need a script ??

I am asking this because I am developing a script engine to add to an
    application called Mewa Film and I would like to write some
    usefull script examples.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast