Thread: Selective disc syndrome

Default Selective disc syndrome

My name is Don and I'm a newbie at making home videos with much to learn.

I use MS movie maker because I just found it on my computer and started playing with it and found that I like doing it.

Now here is my problem. With much butt scratching and to many smokes I finally created a video that will play on my home dvd player. The problem is it might play on someone else's player or it might not. I have discovered the world or ac/dc in the player world. I know that there is a solution for the problem since store bought dvd's will play on any dvd player regardless of age. Is there an all player disc or is it in the encoding process.

In checking faq's for this section there was a general question addressing the problem.

Video won't play in my DVD player!

The first link just takes me back to the forum directory, the second takes me to a list of dvd players and what they can play.

Neither of these answered my question, so is there a disc or a program that allows me to make a disc that can play on any dvd player or am I sol.

Thanks in advance.
    Don

There are two types of dvd disc that are used, one is a dvd-r and the other is a dvd+r, these let you record onto them once and that's it. They are called recordable discs. Then there are the re-writable discs and they work like a VHS tape, they are dvd-rw and dvd+rw.

Depending on which type you used on your computer it played back alright on your dvd player but it may not play back on someone else's as it may not be able to read the same disc. This shouldn't happen as much now as it did a few years ago as modern dvd players should be able to playback all types disc whether they are -r, +r, -rw or +rw. So you may need to run off another disc with the opposite symbol (+ instead of - or - instead of +) to the one that worked on your home dvd player.

So that means that I am sol and there is no program, disc or recording device that allows me to record discs that can be played on any dvd player.

How do recording outfits that will make a dvd for you accomplish this feat?

This is a question out of curiosity now.

Thanks for the response by the way Nikosony.

Hopefully I've got this correct if not then by all means someone correct me. The discs movies are sold on are not the type of discs you can buy in shops (in fact I don't think I've ever seen them on sale ever) they are dvd video discs and the ones on general sale are data discs. Remember it's data you are putting on the disc in terms of a video and or audio file. So we are stuck with either the -r or +r discs or their re-writable versions -rw and +rw. If you ever come across them on sale let us know, so we can stop running off two versions of everything to cover the people whose dvd players only play one type of disc or the other. As I said earlier, it's not as big a problem now as most modern home dvd players will play a much wider selection of discs.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 06-09-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Blog Entries

True - the ones you buy are stamped on aluminium the ones you write are 'burned' by a laser into a dye layer.

DVD -R is the most compatible I find. Also make sure you are cutting ntsc and not pal or whichever is the format in your country.

I appreciate the response guys. I hate being ignorant about something and like having the whys and the wherefores on a subject. Like GI Joe says knowing is half the battle.

I will continue to use the ms movie maker for a while until I get adept at making videos and then will have to explore the world of the new and different.

Again my many thanks!

Just remember you can't make DVD's with WMM (I think it does mpeg 1 for vcd production - vhs quality, if indeed that), you can create the files for DVD production but you will need something like Nero to burn them. Personally, I don't favour this kind of setup, I think it is much better to do all your work from capture, to edit to burn using one piece of software. The sooner you can leave WMM behind the better as there are much better editors out there.

Thanks Nikosony but Vista Premium on my wifes laptop can burn dvd's from WMM, I don't like it but the price is right. So at the moment its buy gas or a movie maker, let me see gas or movie maker, I'll go with the gas.

I'll be whining like a two year old when I'm ready to up grade though and then you will come to hate me.

Again Thanks!