Thread: Render audio streams separately

Default Render audio streams separately

I have Vegas 6.0 and I usually create simple videos with plain audio. But for the video I'm working on I want the final video to have 2 separate audio streams so the listener can select which one they want to hear in the player. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to keep them separate.

I have 2 audio tracks but when I render the video, the audio tracks are merged into 1 audio stream. I've been looking all over for information on how to do this to no avail and I've seen videos that do this. Currently I'm rendering with XVID and Lame MP3.

Yes. Sure you CAN render separate audio. However, what is the way you intend to publish this work? THAT is going to be your biggest issue. What is going to be your method in presenting to your "viewer"? VHS tape? DVD? Internet? How quickly do you WANT your viewer to switch between the 2 versions?

Look, Vegas is an NLE; it allows us to edit and construct edited video with audio. Outside of Vegas and DVDA, how this "work" is THEN presented often is the issue that is raised on these boards. There has been another post on this forum about "looping". IMO, this again is about "after" the work being concluded in Vegas.

Get back here with your preferred method of publishing, and maybe there will be a solution.

Grazie

I just want to create an AVI video file and that's it. So I didn't think I would need any other authoring tools.

Yes, I understand that, but HOW will your viewer be seeing this: On TV? On your PC? from a VHS tape? How?

Vegas can produce many different audio streams - it is HOW you are going to show them to your audience that IMO, makes the difference?

Grazie

Probably on a PC. I use Media Player Classic myself.

I did some more searching (previously I had always included "vegas" in my searches) and found a tool called "AVI-Mux GUI" which seems to do exactly what I want. Still, it would be nice if this could be done with Vegas as I'd have to render all my audio streams separately (except the main one I think) and then stitch them together.

Where does Classic WMP allow the viewer to select which audio stream to listen to?

G

Play->Audio->then choose audio stream

Oh, it's Media Player Classic (not the original windows media player) - Media Player Classic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most other media players have the same sort of thing. I'm sure the regular Windows Media Player can do this, but I don't know where the option would be. On VLC, it's here: Audio->Audio Track->choose stream
    Last edited by eeey; 06-09-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Hmmm...

1] I'm using WMP ver 10. I can't see "Play->Audio->then choose audio stream "

2] In VLC Audio->Audio Track->choose stream I am only seeing the one track for a single track I'm playing, so that figures! maybe if I had more streams I could select? Is that correct?

OK, my guess, and I've never done this, and speaking of WMP - which I can't see the path you speak of, would be to use Windows Media Encoder (free) and see if there is a way to encode multi audio streams? Dunno.

But now I understand what you want to do and that there appears to be an option to do this, this is very interesting indeed. Never heard of it and never ever used it either. I've looked through the various Vegas WMP options. Nada.

However lurking in amongst the Vegas AVI: Render > AVI > Custom > Audio there are multi "channels". But for the life of me, I can't figure nor make out how to employ them!! ...Interesting . .

This needs more work! Maybe somebody else can jump in.

Grazie

Correct, if there are multiple audio streams you can choose which one you want to hear although the first one will most likely be the default when starting playback. WMP has very little to do with Media Player Classic. So I don't know where the option is for WMP, but I expect that there is an option to switch audio stream.

Here's the site I found which had a post referencing the "AVI-Mux GUI" I mentioned earlier:
    Dual or Multi Audio AVI with subtitles (MPEG4 XviD DivX) - VideoHelp.com

I had been all over "Vegas AVI: Render > AVI > Custom > Audio" before as well and found nothing. I think the only thing you can do with the Multi-Channels option is Stereo/Mono/Surround settings.

Maybe it's something a newer Vegas might have? I have Vegas 6 which I know is starting to get fairly old.

Also, I just found a small guide on doom9 which shows how to do this with nandub:
    Doom9.net - The Definitive DVD Backup Resource
    Last edited by eeey; 06-09-2008 at 06:31 PM.

I was able to get my video the way I wanted using AVI-Mux GUI. However, it's really annoying to render the video with 1 audio stream and also render each additional audio stream separately and then stitching them together to form the final multi audio AVI. It would be so nice if this could be setup with Vegas and then perform the rendering in 1 or even a couple steps. Hopefully someone knows if/how this can be done.