Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Canon HV20 Movie.

Default First Canon HV20 Movie.

Just me with my girlfriend and dog in the park.

I just got my HV20 today =D

How about giving us the the flash setup info. This thing is great.

What do you mean with flash setup?
    Im sorry if I look like a noob now :P

Blog Entries

Firstly, you've got a very pretty girlfriend and a very ugly dog

A lovely little video record of a day in the park. Some of the images were a bit unsteady, in my opinion, but they were well composed and I liked the differential focussing. It was nicely edited to the music and fitted well. In fact this video could be used as a demonstration about (a) how to edit sympathetically to music and (b) you don't have to use dissolves for slow or laid-back themes.

In fact, I felt a lot more relaxed at the end of the video than I did at the start!

For my taste... It's not really my kind of thing but you did it very well. Well done. (but get a bit steadier on the camera please).

Blog Entries

Same here.

I also have to say that I am impressed with the image quality of your camera. Ok it was sunny and you certainly showed it off well but the thing that most impressed me was the use of dof.

Thank you guys so much. I know I need to work on the steadyness.. :P
    I just got a tripod and im not yet used to the feel of it xD

But wich parts are so shaky? so I can solve it the next time.
    These things arent my type of taste too. But I wanted to see some HD :P

EDIT: Could it also be the quality of the tripod?
    If I pan it around and stuff it doesn't go that smooth. But yeah. I payed like 25 dollars(actually euro's) for it.
    Last edited by VorteXNL; 06-11-2008 at 10:30 AM.

I watched your video aswell, the quality of the images is very impressive, no doubt having a good sunny day always helps. I would have made the title at the start smaller and pulled it in from the edge of the screen and some of the shots were not composed correctly. The shot through the hole in the branches showing the dog and your girlfriend had her head cut off, it would have been better to get all of her in the shot and then hit the record button.

Once you pan in one direction in a shot don't pan back the other way as it is a big NO NO, again frame the shot then shoot. Practice your pan shots before your record them, hold the shot for 5 seconds at the start then pan and hold the end shot for another 5 seconds to give you enough material when you are editing it. And always pan a lot slower than what you think is needed as it looks much better on screen and is much smoother. The same applies to tilt shots. If you start a sequence with the flowers (great colour) or the birds in the water then show four or five shots of that in a montage and use a dissolve between each shot to cover any jump cuts.

A little bit of action or activity would have been nice aswell, like one of you feeding the birds or just walking with the dog along a path in the park. It would have been a key point around 50 per cent of the way through so as to keep the viewer interested to the end.

Thanks for the tips

Blog Entries

Top advice.

As for tripods expect to pay 300 to get really smooth pans.

Did you up the saturation or 'curve' the video or is that 'high gamma' look straight from the cam?

As for park vids - here is mine - shot on a very crappy old pc4 with no tripod and a very shaky hand. I was mostly thinking of dynamic comistion within each shot in this film.

Now I feel like doing another park film !

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/park2.wmv

Maybe we should start a park video section in user vids ! lol
    Last edited by Mark W; 06-11-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Ha - found another park vid - made this years ago for a group of angsty tree huggers - wanted a floty feeling here so its all long slow zooms and lots track motion in the edit.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/suffmills.wmv

More park videos I say more !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast