Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Make Text Move in Vegas v.7

Talking How to Make Text Move in Vegas v.7

Hi everyone... I am trying to figure out how to make text move on the screen.

Basically, I just want to scroll some text along the bottom of the screen... Is this possible with Vegas Studio (version 7.0) ? If so, can anyone explain to me how this works... or point me in the direction of a tutorial.

Thank you!!
    This is where I type in something clever, perhaps a quote?

Blog Entries

Hopefully this'll be enough to get you going.
    Create a text media with your text on it (just keep typing)
    Still within the Generated Media dialog,
    Choose the "Placement" tab
    Move the cursor to the far left on the Generated Media Timeline
    Drag the text in the placement window to the bottom of the frame and just off the right of it. (This will create a "keyframe" at time = 0)
    Now move the cursor to the far right of the timeline and move the text to just off the far left. (This will create a keyframe at time = whatever you set the duration to)
    Now when you play, you will see the text crawl from the first position to the second.
    Tim

Talking

Hi.. I was also wondering the same thing.. How to make Text Move in Sony Vegas (version 7)

I tried using the above advice from TimStannard, but could never quite get it right. Is there anyway I can ask you to me more specific?

I tried dragging & dropping the text, but it wouldn't "show up" on the timeline, instead, I would get random diamond shapes, some that were filled in and some that were only an outline.

What do these "diamond's" mean?

When I played the text that was on the page (and edited in the Generated Media box), it just jumps around on the page... Which I would assume is because of where the text was, when I dragged it, and the diamond shaped-icons are the markers for how long I want my text to move???

I'm not sure, can anyone point me in the right direction or provide me with a tutorial that I can follow? Thank you!

Blog Entries

Hi Jeff,
    There seems to be some confusion going on here. The diamonds you refer to are on the timeline within the generated media (text) window, right?

These are your keyframes. You want two ONLY. One at the far left of the timeline within the window and one to the far right. (To delete one, click on it to select it - a dot will appear within it - and click on the diamond icon with a "-" sign in it.)

NOW click on the one on the far left and a dot shoudd appear in it to show it is selected.
    Using the placement tab, move the block (ie the very long strip) of text as far right as you can and towards the bottom in the placement window.
    What this means is that at time=0 the text block will be off the far right of the visible area.
    Now click on the diamond (the keyframe) at the far right of the timeline (30 secs or whatever) and drag the text block off the far left of the visible area.
    Vegas will now calculate fr each frame between 0 and (say) 30 seconds where the text block will be.

Any clearer?

Apologies I don't have a machine here with Vegas to do screen grabs.
    Tim

Default TimStannard

Hey, Tim...we followed all your directions on how to do the scrolling text but our keyframe will not let us go to "0" it stops at "1" do you know why that is? We tried stretching out the box to see if it would let us, but it still did not. ANY help would be appreciated.. thanks!

Blog Entries

I can't understand that.
    Try this for me, please.
    Add a new Generated Text. Look at the timeline in the dialog box. There should be a keyframe marker at the far left of the timeline with the timeline cursor on top of it. Look at the time display in the lower right of the dialog. That is the time of the cursor (which at this stage = the time of the one and only keyframe. It should display 00:00:00:00. That is your keyframe at time = 0.

Is that not what you see?
    Tim

Default Reply to tim

In the Keyframe box it's giving us "1.1.000" instead of just "0.0.000" where we mark the "diamonds" at. It won't let us go all the way to the beginning of the screen.

And you are both correct, with 1.1.000 AND 00:00:00 . .

Goodnight!

O . . K . . . .

Timeline Format can be set in many flavours. Here we have:

1] Measures & Beats (music) - 1.1.000

2] Time & Frames (video) - 00:00:00

Is there a specific reason why you have Measures & Beats as your Timeline Format? You may well have, but if not switch to a video format. And while you are at it also check out your Project settings too?

These basic "gotchas" have caught me out before and I've struggled to find answers when all I've needed to do was only to make some simple Project wide settings.

Yes, Vegas CAN do an awful lot of stuff. It does this 'cos it is awfully flexible. And along with that flexibility comes the need for us all to be vigilant with some of the basics - mia culpa too!! - Oh, yes . . . .

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Grazie;124718] And you are both correct, with 1.1.000 AND 00:00:00 . .
    /QUOTE]
    Grazie is, as usual, correct.

Your post "1:1:000" was the clue (it's in the format).

You have the time set to show measures and beats. Therefore the first POSSIBLE time is beat one of measure one.
    I have my time display set to time+frames.00:00:00:00 is hour 0, minute 0, second 0, frame 0.

Time = 0 is the same as first beat of the first measure (or "bar" for those of us on the eastern side of the pond.)

If you want to change the time display, Options | Ruler and select.

EDIT: B***** you beat me again!
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast