Thread: Windows Vista is horrible for video editing

Default Windows Vista is horrible for video editing

Memory problems, AVI playback problems aaargh. Gone back to my old machine with XP. Installed a firewire card, upgraded RAM to 3GIG, already has a AMD Dual Core processor installed. Vista is all about looking pretty! Nothing more. Wasted £720 on a Dell XPS 420...PC World they better refund me

I wouldn't say it's horrible...I'm running a 1.86GHz Duo Core Laptop with 2GB RAM and an nVIDIA graphics card with Vista Home Premium and the Adobe CS3 Master Suite & I've had no problems with it. I've got a desktop running XP which I'm building to have a stable desktop editing system but I've used Vista with Premiere Pro CS3, Ulead Video Studio 10 Plus and Vegas 7 with no problems apart from the rare freeze of the system when I've been too ambitious with my programmes.
    www.nothingissound.co.uk // http://www.youtube.com/user/truebassist

Sony DSR-PDX10 // Sony Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x // Sony ECM-NV1 // RØDE NTG-1 // Dolly [coming soon]

Adobe CS4 Master Suite // MacBook Pro Alu 2.4Ghz

Well I haven't experienced Vista, but I hear a lot of feedback from my acquaintance's having upgraded to it and switching back to XP. I think also Microsoft were intending to stop the sales of XP but due to 'glitches' with Vista have decided not to at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBassist View Post
    I wouldn't say it's horrible...I'm running a 1.86GHz Duo Core Laptop with 2GB RAM and an nVIDIA graphics card with Vista Home Premium and the Adobe CS3 Master Suite & I've had no problems with it. I've got a desktop running XP which I'm building to have a stable desktop editing system but I've used Vista with Premiere Pro CS3, Ulead Video Studio 10 Plus and Vegas 7 with no problems apart from the rare freeze of the system when I've been too ambitious with my programmes.
    Would there be any reason why AVI videos were playing fast forward in Vista?

I've had this problem on an XP machine running Ulead VideoStudio 10 Plus so I wouldn't put it down to Vista / Premiere Pro CS3 *straight away*. I honestly have no idea what the problem is but I remember re-capturing my footage a second time and the problem wasn't there anymore...very odd. Maybe someone else has the answer!!
    www.nothingissound.co.uk // http://www.youtube.com/user/truebassist

Sony DSR-PDX10 // Sony Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x // Sony ECM-NV1 // RØDE NTG-1 // Dolly [coming soon]

Adobe CS4 Master Suite // MacBook Pro Alu 2.4Ghz