Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I create a Timelapse video in Sony Vegas Movie Studio 7.0?

Talking How do I create a Timelapse video in Sony Vegas Movie Studio 7.0?

This is probably a pretty easy thing to do. but I don't use this editing program very often.

How would I create a timelapse video? I have a video that is 1.5 hours long, but I want to condense it down to a few minutes. I suppose I would do this by increasing the amount of frames per second? maybe? Or is there a different/more effective technique?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks, in advance.

I understand that you wish to SPEED-up an existing 1.5 hours video and reduce its playback time to a few minutes? Yes? Let's say you want it to play back in say 3 minutes. Yes? OK, that is a reduction in time of 30:1. Hold that thought!!

Well, I don't know if your version has the feature I have in VegasPro8 - Velocity envelopes. Please check. I have VMS 4.0 and that isn't showing any.

However, what I can do in VMS4 is apply a method that achieves a little more than a 4:1 ratio reduction ( actually it is 4.222:1 - but hey that's a positive here!).

So:

1] Place your 1.5 hour Event on the Timeline.

2] Go to the End of the Event HOLD down the Ctrl key and locate the end of your Event and drag the event so that it starts to collapse/squeezes down to its minimum size. My guess that it should stop at around . . er . . . . 21 minutes in total, think I got that right?

3] Render THIS Reduced event and bring it BACK to the timeline.

4] You should now have a 21 minute event, which, you can repeat the Ctrl+Drag left and end up with an Event being 5.6 minutes in length. render this out and again . . ..

Do this until you get your desired length.

There has been discussion over the years, regarding the quality of such an approach, about does one "squeeze" little for a first render and more for a latter ones? Life's too short! Do your thing and see what you can achieve.

Now, frame rates in VMS? I can only see a way to s-l-o-w down the Event. Can you SPEED-up in your version? Interesting.

I hope all that above helps. Really it is dead easy when you start to play with it.

Recap: Squeeze > Render > Squeeze > Render . . .

HTH

Grazie

Dang, I just learned something new again. Thanks for that post Grazie!
    I guess I should stop being lazy and read the HOLE Vegas help file, instead of stopping and thinking "oh I know enough now"

Quote Originally Posted by ayim View Post
    and read the HOLE Vegas help file,
    How very Zen - Vegas as an empty space . . .spooky . I betcha wont find this approach - your gonna look now - aint yah??

Hey guy, you are very very welcome.

Grazie

Cool usefull

Grazie,
    Thanks a lot for your post. I too like ayme was wondering how to do the same thing. Your your posts were very usefull. Thanks a lot man I added to ur reputation thing
    130993st

I believe Video Capture Software and Scene Detection - Scenalyzer allows this during the capture, so saving space on the HDD and any re-render

Talking Thank you!

Thanks guys... Just wanted to let you know that the advice from Grazie worked great. I ended up having to condense, then render.... then condense and render, again... Four render's in total, I got my 90 minute video, down to 60 seconds.

I'm not sure how you guys feel about me posting links to the video's I uploaded on YouTube, but here is my Timelapse Video on YouTube.

Thanks again for the help.

Great answer, I was looking through all the program docs and not finding how to do the same.

Did it with a clip and render worked great.

Thanks!

Now if I can just find out if I can take a group of photos and drop them it, set a display time AND cross-fade for all the photos without having to do it manually. Anybody?

I will try to find the right place to post this question.

Jim
    PS I am running Vegas Movie Studio HD Plat 10 if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I understand that you wish to SPEED-up an existing 1.5 hours video and reduce its playback time to a few minutes? Yes? Let's say you want it to play back in say 3 minutes. Yes? OK, that is a reduction in time of 30:1. Hold that thought!!

Well, I don't know if your version has the feature I have in VegasPro8 - Velocity envelopes. Please check. I have VMS 4.0 and that isn't showing any.

However, what I can do in VMS4 is apply a method that achieves a little more than a 4:1 ratio reduction ( actually it is 4.222:1 - but hey that's a positive here!).

So:

1] Place your 1.5 hour Event on the Timeline.

2] Go to the End of the Event HOLD down the Ctrl key and locate the end of your Event and drag the event so that it starts to collapse/squeezes down to its minimum size. My guess that it should stop at around . . er . . . . 21 minutes in total, think I got that right?

3] Render THIS Reduced event and bring it BACK to the timeline.

4] You should now have a 21 minute event, which, you can repeat the Ctrl+Drag left and end up with an Event being 5.6 minutes in length. render this out and again . . ..

Do this until you get your desired length.

There has been discussion over the years, regarding the quality of such an approach, about does one "squeeze" little for a first render and more for a latter ones? Life's too short! Do your thing and see what you can achieve.

Now, frame rates in VMS? I can only see a way to s-l-o-w down the Event. Can you SPEED-up in your version? Interesting.

I hope all that above helps. Really it is dead easy when you start to play with it.

Recap: Squeeze > Render > Squeeze > Render . . .

HTH

Grazie

Now if I can just find out if I can take a group of photos and drop them it, set a display time AND cross-fade for all the photos without having to do it manually. Anybody?

set the duration of the still image and the duration of the crossfade in properties, then select ALL the photos you want in the slideshow, and drop onto timeline and they will be the right duration with crossfades.

Thanks, that works for me. Adjusting the overlap and timing was a pain! Thanks for the help.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast