Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who gets paid more: Editor or Camera Man?

Default Who gets paid more: Editor or Camera Man?

Who gets paid more if your going to divide the pay?

Lets say shooting a wedding, sweet 16, party, ect.

Blog Entries

Typcially the 'editor' will get paid more in event videography, as they are typically the 'owner'. Any camera operators will be paid in accordance with a set rate.

I presume the editor will get paid more as he or she will spend a good few hundred hours (depending on the type of production) in front of an edit suite.

I would say edior as well just because of the hours involved
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Default video editor

Hello All,
    This is my first post and I'm curious as to how much it would cost to have someone edit a video for me (50 min.) Nothing to fancy, but nicer than what I can do myself.
    Sorry for posting a reply, but I can't find the button for an original post.
    If any one here knows of someone to help me out please give me an email adress so I can talk to them.
    Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

maybe split 50-50, even though the editor get the longest job. It all depends, Do you have a fixed price or do you charge by hour? The same applies to the camera man.

If you do an hourly rate then that will give you some idea of costs.

Also depends on experience and on how competent they are., I film and edit ,the filming s less hours then the edit, so as an editor I would expect more.

You cold do on as piecework and then the costs become fixed and predictable.

If the cameramen is naff then the editor will get more as it will take a lot of skill to make a good and if the cameraman is brilliant than then is less editing so vick verky

At the ed of the it all depends on what you thing you are worth and what the market will pay.

Blog Entries

Generally speaking, in the broadcast sector, cameraman get about twice the daily rate of an editor.
    The BBC pays between 160 up to a maximum of 260 for a senior editor as starting rates for freelancers, camera operators start at 275 and lighting cameramen start at 375 per day.

The theory is, obviously, that if the cameraman gets it wrong, the project is a non-starter. If the editor gets it wrong, then the stuff is simply re-edited.

In broadcast, most editing is decided by a director or the producer, the editor simply transferring the auter's wishes into actions. In essence, they know how to use the software but the "creatives" make the decisions and earn the big bucks. In the wierd world of media those in front of the camera are "talent" and those behind the camera either "creatives" or "technicians". Cameramen are seen as "creatives" but editors as "technicians".

I'm sure that a lot of editors find this situation unfair but, in production, you tend to get paid for your responsibility and what could go wrong, or what it would cost, if you cock it up. A re-shoot costs a lot more than a re-edit and, as the saying goes, "you can't polish a turd". If the original material's no good, you can't do a lot with it.

Edit: I'm talking about the daily rate here. An editor might spend a lot longer on a production and, as a result, get paid more but a decent cameraman will save you a fortune in the edit suite.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-09-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Good point, I was mearly talking about the hours involved = more money. What you said matches what the US dose as well. In the US daily rate also depends on the production bugget.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

Whoever drives the hardest bargain gets the most. It can be a dog eat dog business. I suppose it all depns on how good / stubborn / easy to work with / good looking you are...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast