Thread: capturing problems

Default capturing problems

Hi Im new to this forum...

Im using a panasonic 3CCD camcorder and originally tried to capture the video just using WMM - captured ok, and I can play the clips fine in the collections window, but when I drag them down to the timeline, they appear interlaced. I read that this is fine, when u render back to AVI there should be no loss of quality, but actually there is, I have seen either what I guess is called interlace artifacts, or ghosting, but cant get a crisp finish. What am I doing wrong? I have used a different camera in the past and not had this problem...

Secondly, I tried to use Vegas instead but had the problem that capturing the video does not capture the sound as I am capturing using USB, not firewire. Will using firewire solve both of these problems? Is it simply the USB that is not capturing correctly?

I have a firewire cable for a MAC but not for my windows laptop so I tried capturing onto the Mac and then transferring across (the Mac is a friends) but then I had problems with a missing index file, which I could not repair with multile applications (DivFix, AviMedic, avifixed, DVR etc...)

Only really tried this a couple of times in the past and never had ANY problems - always as easy as .... this time it is driving me crazy...

thx for your help...

Western Europe

I have a Panasonic 3CCD camcorder aswell and the only way I capture video from it is using Firewire. You need to get Firewire fitted to your laptop (never used it on a laptop so I can't comment on how well it will work) and get a Firewire cable to connect the camcorder to the computer, it is the only way to go when using a Mini DV camcorder.

ok, my laptop has firewire capability, but firewire connections on laptops are different to standard Mac and desktop connections, so I havent been able to find the correct connection. Im sure it isnt too hard to find though...

What software app do you use, and do you ever have any probs? or are you completely happy with the camera?

Western Europe

The two standard connections are 4 pin to 6 pin and 4 pin to 4 pin, you should have no problems getting Firewire cables with these plugs on either end. I don't have a particular favourite NLE, I've used lots, it's just a matter of trying a few out and seeing which one you like best. Download a 30 day trial of the popular editors you see listed here on this forum and give each a try. Yes I'm very happy with Panasonic's Mini DV camcorders.

yeah, you would think it wouldnt be too hard to get a 4 to 4 pin connection, but it all depends on location... Im living in a not-very-remote area of Turkey at the moment and so far... no luck!