Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropped Frames.

Default Dropped Frames.

My ex-wife is having a problem with dropped frames when capturing videos from a Panasonic PV-GS58 DVR. She is using the system listed in my sig and using Sony Vegas Platinum 8 via Firewire connected to the Zonet card.

What I have tried so far is:

1: emptied the temp folder
    2: completely defragged both hard drives
    3: moved Vega's temp folder to the second hard drive which is reserved for capturing (it has 65gig free out of 80 and the system drive has 20gig free)
    4: turned off all programs non essential to video capturing and editing (except for AVG 8.0 which will be the next thing we try)
    5: didn't use the system for anything else while the capture was in progress

The camera is not her personal camera. It belongs to the elementary school that she works for and she is using it primarily for school related projects. She doesn't do the maintenance on it and has no idea how long it has been since the heads were cleaned on it.

The tapes she is working on now were good quality ones (not sure of the brand, but they weren't the cheapies) purchased new just before she recorded to them last fall at the beginning of the school year and have only been recorded to the one time.

She gets a rather consistant dropped frame every two minutes or so which leads me to believe that it might be the anti virus program probing the drive (which I didn't think to turn off of that drive at the time). But, if she captures with Windows Movie Maker or NeroVision Express she doesn't drop any frames, but she can only capture using USB 2.0 in either of these (going through the onboard USB 2.0 connector). If she tries to capture with Vegas 8 via USB she doesn't drop any frames, but she doesn't get any sound. This leads me to suspect the Zonet FW card. Between these two things I'm leaning towards one of two things. Either AVG 8 is interfering or the Zonet FW card isn't performing up to snuff (it has a Via chipset, but I don't know specifically which one).

Aside from the obvious of trying it with AVG disabled does anyone else think it could possibly be the FW card? Any other ideas of what to try or check besides getting a head cleaner for the camera?

Thanks for any assistance you experts can provide as this is outside my area of expertise.

Don
    Biostar TForce 6100-939
    3800X2 @ 2.4GHz
    Onboard Graphics, Sound, and LAN
    4 x 512 Corsair PC3200
    2 x WD800JD SATA 1
    1 x LiteOn DVD
    1 x NEC ND3550A DVD-RW
    Zonet ZUC2400 USB 2.0
    CoolerMaster 380 PSU

Panasonic PV-GS58 DVR
    Sony Vegas Platinum 8

Blog Entries

On a funtional system you might get a d frame one p[er hour so something is clearly up here.

My first thought was maxing out the processor, but the dual core should avoid this - check this by looking at the performance tab in the perf monitor when captiring. If it does hot 100 % dropped frames are likely.

If then camera is well used itr could be that - try on another pc to isolate the cause.

I would be suprised if the f wire card was the cause.

BTW dont use usb as it degrades the picture.

The processor wasn't maxed out. I think the highest I remember seeing it was about 65 - 70%.

She only used USB before she got Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Before that she was using Windows Movie Maker and NeroVision Express and neither of those would capture from the vid cam via Firewire (or even acknowledge that the vid cam was connected to the pc via Firewire). That's one of the reasons that I started suspecting the FW card as it was a fairly cheap one. Now that she has Soney Vegas 8 she uses FW.

She is checking on when the camera was last cleaned today and she may get a head cleaner for it herself just to try to eliminate that possibility.

She's going to try re capturing with AVG turned off later this week when she gets a chance. I'm 200 miles away or I would do it myself.

Thanks for the input. I'll let you guys know what we find out.

Don
    Biostar TForce 6100-939
    3800X2 @ 2.4GHz
    4 x 512 Corsair PC3200
    2 x WD800JD SATA 1
    1 x LiteOn DVD
    1 x NEC ND3550A DVD-RW
    Zonet ZUC2400 USB 2.0
    CoolerMaster 380 PSU

Panasonic PV-GS58 DVR
    Sony Vegas Platinum 8

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    BTW dont use usb as it degrades the picture.
    Eh? I thought USB, or F/W, was only a means of digital transfer? In this instance how and why would USB degrade the "1"s and "0"s? I'm willing to learn.

Grazie

Blog Entries

USB rarely captures at full res / bit rate. I really dont know why it is even an option, for getting stills of eme card equipped cameras maybe?

Ah! Understood. I was here relating to the transfer of info FROM a device TO another device - using USB. In Vegas that is called capturing. You are referring to the actual capture of an image?

Grazie

Blog Entries

I was referring to capturing video from a tape camera. For hd cameras usb is the proper ( and only ) method.

I am confused? Where does firewire figure in capturing HD then?

Grazie

Unless I'm mistaken, HD uses an onboard hard drive to record on so you just transfer from a HD camera like you would from an external USB or FW hard drive on your computer. If I'm wrong someone will be along to correct me.

Don
    Biostar TForce 6100-939
    3800X2 @ 2.4GHz
    4 x 512 Corsair PC3200
    2 x WD800JD SATA 1
    1 x LiteOn DVD
    1 x NEC ND3550A DVD-RW
    Zonet ZUC2400 USB 2.0
    CoolerMaster 380 PSU

Panasonic PV-GS58 DVR
    Sony Vegas Platinum 8

Thanks MrNovi.

Now, way back up there our friend was having dropped frames using the USB2 port. I am now wondering that maybe that that port is going to a device that provides a stream that can not be "scene" detected nor can be camera controlled. I'm now thinking that the DV-Control and Scene Detect need to be disengaged in VidCap. Meaning that there IS a dv stream coming IN but that same stream is not controllable - yeah? It's a bit like doing a TV capture straight into Vegas VidCap - you need to turn off any DV-control and scene detect. It can;t see any timecode. And IF that is the case then dropped frames would ensue - yeah? NOW if that is ALSO the case then a f/w card may very well be fighting the USB2 for the stream. OR the f/w card has not been selected.

Hmmm....

Grazie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast