Thread: Advice please

Default Advice please

Hi,
    Have just bought a Panasonic HD camcorder, the guy behind the counter was ranting about sony Video editing suite, have had a look around the net and have found that there are various different types, my question is, which one is the best value for money, he said that he thought the package was around £130, at moment we use Windows Movie Maker, we need something more up market for holiday vids, wedding etc, any advice is welcomed.

Regards,

Caroline.

Hi Kazandlee, and welcome to the forum. Everyone has their own favourite editing software (mine being Premiere) so why not try downloading some trial versions of Vegas and Premiere Pro etc and see what you think. The basic editing learning curves aren't too steep. And best of luck with your new Panny

Hey there kazandlee...shiner is definately right, the best way to pick the best software for you is to download the 30 day trials of stuff like Vegas and Premiere Pro and do some editing on there to see which you like the best. Try setting yourself a task which involves using the same video, audio etc. to create a specific video (e.g. a music video or highlights show) and see which piece of sofware you find easiest to use to create it.

In my opinion, Premiere Pro CS3 is the better option as everything is where you would expect it to be. Vegas is a good piece of editing software but for me, it takes too long to learn it and find out where everything is (i'm very impatient!) Plus I love using After Effects, Photoshop, Encore and the rest of the Adobe CS3 suite so much!!
    www.nothingissound.co.uk // http://www.youtube.com/user/truebassist

Sony DSR-PDX10 // Sony Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x // Sony ECM-NV1 // RØDE NTG-1 // Dolly [coming soon]

Adobe CS4 Master Suite // MacBook Pro Alu 2.4Ghz

Hi is your HD camera AVCHD only I tried Premiere Pro S3 and it needs MainConcepts MPEG HD plug-in and was not to stable with 1920x1080i, I'd always used Premiere 6 until I updated to AVCHD 1920x1080 and found the best simple program was Corel Video Studio Pro X2, I tried a few Vegas programs but found that they seemed more set up for 1440x1080 and were optimised for Sony, as my camera is Canon it seemed more compatible with Corel, it costs nothing to check these things out so good luck with you hunt, please let us know what you come up with,
    Bryan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBassist View Post
    In my opinion, Premiere Pro CS3 is the better option as everything is where you would expect it to be. Vegas is a good piece of editing software but for me, it takes too long to learn it and find out where everything is
    Funnily enough I find the exact opposite
    There again, if you're used to the Adobe layout and all those tabbed floating windows....

Each to his own.

As shiner says - try. And his best bit of advice is to set yourself a project, rather than just play.
    Tim

Blog Entries

AVCHD is a load of crap.

Your camera is a tool and shouldnt dictate what editor you use.

Get a HDV camera.