Thread: Work in Progress - My first Vegas video - critique please

Default Work in Progress - My first Vegas video - critique please

[Disclaimer - Yes, this is a skate video of sorts (Sorry Mark!) but it isn't skateboards and the riding is decent]

I got the trial of Vegas Pro recently and decided to try and use it to make my latest video as I was having real problems getting 50FPS progressive from 25FPS interlaced with the footage from my miniket MPEG4 camera. I had other issues with the Vegas route, but I think I have that nailed now.

Anyway. I now have a first draft up, more about the clip order as anything else, I followed the rough sequence of the original competition that I am covering, which was divided into three "zones". I generally got one or two positions in most zones and I am thinking I should maybe mix it up between them within the zone sections - mixing the high and low shots up more maybe? I definately think I need to smooth some of the cuts as some seem to jar on the eye - I think this is when you see a rider moving and it cuts to a similar angle but no rider there, the brain freaks as they are not there any more (And maybe someone else is). I am, however, trying to avoid going crazy with the effects palette like a complete noob
    I do want to know how to do pulses of light in Vegas though... I se how to do it as a transition, but not in the middle of a clip. Just split the clip into two maybe?

Anyway, flame away...

http://www.evilc.com/tmp/knockhill-remolition.avi (DivX, download then watch)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evilc View Post
    I definately think I need to smooth some of the cuts as some seem to jar on the eye - I think this is when you see a rider moving and it cuts to a similar angle but no rider there, the brain freaks as they are not there any more
    This is known as a "jump cut". One solution is the flashes as you suggest (or some other transition such as fade through black, or a corny one such as page peel) but a better solution is usually to use a "cutaway". This is an insert of some different footage entirely - scenery shots, shots of crowd reaction etc)

Quote Originally Posted by evilc View Post
    I do want to know how to do pulses of light in Vegas though... I se how to do it as a transition, but not in the middle of a clip. Just split the clip into two maybe?
    Yes
    Tim

Blog Entries

Just has a look and whilst it's not my scene I found it somewhat more watchable than other skate type vids.
    A couple of comments...
    The colour seems way out pretty dark and over saturated. Have you processed this in any way? Maybe it's just the way my WMP is displaying DivX but other DivXs seem OK.
    I didn't think the variety of shots/angles was too bad - although there was one sequence near the end looking down on the "boarders" coming up the ramp which seemed repetitive. I have seen this (over)used to good effect with much shorter clips (ie trim them right down so just the top of the turn is shown).
    One thing that would make the video much more interesting to me would be close-ups of the riders' (and audiences) faces. This would add a human element that's often lacking in these vids. These shots would also make great inserts to avoid jump cuts as per my previous posts.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    The colour seems way out pretty dark and over saturated. Have you processed this in any way? Maybe it's just the way my WMP is displaying DivX but other DivXs seem OK.
    I have not done any processing on it, I think this is the camera. Firstly, when I got it back from the fixers it had been set to medium quality not high, and secondly the "backlit subject" setting had been disabled. I neglected to notice before filming. It's the main weak point of the camera, doesn't handle variance in lighting conditions that great. As a lot of the shots are low looking up at the sky, the details of the riders etc are often dark. Some of the shots (eg those in the middle section with the riders hitting the rail and the view from below) I really quite like the dark silhouette of the riders against the sky, but some of the other shots, you are right, I think need some light balance adjustment as you say.

I didn't think the variety of shots/angles was too bad - although there was one sequence near the end looking down on the "boarders" coming up the ramp which seemed repetitive. I have seen this (over)used to good effect with much shorter clips (ie trim them right down so just the top of the turn is shown).
    Yes, I am getting that impression on watching too.

One thing that would make the video much more interesting to me would be close-ups of the riders' (and audiences) faces. This would add a human element that's often lacking in these vids. These shots would also make great inserts to avoid jump cuts as per my previous posts.
    Yeah, problem is, I have very little of that kind of footage. I always forget to film scene setting stuff, I think this is my biggest failing as a filmmaker at the moment.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, it is very much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Lol - that was more acceptable than the average skate vid ! They didnt fall off at the end every time!

Filming - You need a bigger mix of shots. Imagine telling a story. Start wide - introduce the subject - show the scenario, maybe show some of the people involved, explain the sport.

Action shots with the wide lens should be really close. Only use the wide adaptor when appropriate.

Editing - cut the mustard ok.

Your film was really just shots of people doing tricks. I would have liked to know more about the sport, what was going on ? And hearing from the dudes on the boards would have been cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Filming - You need a bigger mix of shots. Imagine telling a story. Start wide - introduce the subject - show the scenario, maybe show some of the people involved, explain the sport.
    Yeah, as I said before, this is my biggest shortcoming as a filmmaker and I am aware of it. Often as a lone filmer it is hard to get all the action and the scene setting shots, and on this day I ran out of memory card space unexpectedly towards the end.

Action shots with the wide lens should be really close. Only use the wide adaptor when appropriate
    I was actually experimenting that day with a new way of filming - using the headcam lens mounted on the end of a long monopod so I could get close in and not be in danger, plus get very high or low shots easily.
    In fact, my last two movies have essentially been the result of testing out new bits of kit and ending up with footage that I felt was worth putting out there. In fact, I would go as far as saying my journey through movie making is fuelled by searching for new ways to get interesting shots.

Your film was really just shots of people doing tricks. I would have liked to know more about the sport, what was going on ? And hearing from the dudes on the boards would have been cool.
    Yeah, agreed, as I said before, looking to address this issue with future films. In fact, now I am involved with a media website, other people are offering to film cutaway / scene setting shots for me. Soon I would like to make a movie combining all the various shot techniques I have used (boom-cam like in this movie, headcam + 3rd person cam like I do in LARD 13, plus regular handheld and tripod shots and some other crazy ideas I have) to make a more rounded feature.