Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: words and pictures

Default words and pictures

A friend of mine likes to create pictures in sound, he did one of his pieces nearly 3 years ago after 9/11/01. He asked me a couple of weeks ago if I'd like to add visuals to his soundtrack.

Well as time has passed since the attack on the World Trade Center, I decided to include subsequent events as well.

I'm not trying to make any particular point with the film, but maybe to just make people think.

Here's link to my web page, there's another film there as well, my Requiem to Concorde, and further down the golf intro I've already posted here.

www.gilliangvideo.co.uk/page2.htm

Gillian
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.

Blog Entries

I'm sure everyone will have their own interpretation, but, for me, this just illustrates the futility of war. How the few manipulate the many. And how all of us suffer as a consquence.

Tolerance is a word I used to have rammed down my throat. But it's more than tolerance, more than merely "putting up" with other people's beliefs. We should all understand that not everyone holds the same opinions. That everyone has the right to their own belief. All religions, all beliefs should be able to exist side by side - with no one system imposing itself on another. No-one should be forced into any kind of belief system - be that political or religious.

It's all about choice. Give people the freedom of choice and so many problems could be solved.

Default Got us thinking

It is obvious that you got Marc thinking, and I admit it affected me as well. It is always rewarding to choose a topic that has such impact and certainly that always helps make for an interesting project.

Firstly I really enjoyed it and would recommend anyone else reading this post to take a minute and watch it. The speed of upload is quite good and the site is easy to use.

I think the images were excellent - I also recently did some research online for a 9-11 project and I think you found some good footage.

After watching and just letting my mind go I had two thoughts:
    1) It reminded me of the thought I had that day: How many people lost thier lives today? And how many more watching this as I am have lost thier lives from the future fallout of it and just don't know it yet? What is yet to come
    2) At the end I would like to see some hope in your video - what could you add that would show what we need to do - this would take your video from a thoughtfull montage to containing a message from you. Perhaps the last audio quote needs to come from yourself or your friend. What sound bites have discussed rebuilding that you have admired?

Good job overall and I thank you for posting it and sharing it.
    The tale of my death has been greatly exagerated

Thanks both of you. I do agree with Marc about freedom of choice, and also respect for that choice. On a country to country as well as person to person basis.

When I first contemplated this project, I found it generated very many thoughts in me, many of them contradictory, as there is unfortunately no easy answer. All I could do was to try to make something that would have the same thought provoking effect on others.

My friends choice of music, it's lyrics, do suggest 'what effect will this have on the future' which is why I felt able to bring in the subsequent events worldwide. He made the track itself very shortly after 9/11/01.

I tried to imply hope by having those people who have the most power and influence to bring about a solution pictured at the end over the songs words, 'who knows, only time', but I do agree a well chosen quote regarding the rebuilding could have more meaning and impact, whether or not I include visuals relating directly to it.

My friend has collected a large amount of audio quotes, I'll put the idea to him.
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.

My thoughts at the moment are tangential to your project, and actually apply to many of the films on this site. The issue concerns copyright. I have been looking into aquiring music and images from various sources for my project, and find big companies (including Enya's publishers, Reuters, etc) are not open to sharing their material for other projects without a lot of money and red tape. It's been probably 8 months of emailing to Warner Bros to even to get someone to respond to me about using some music WB has some publishing interests in. I also understand, that by copyright law, one cannot show anyone's recognizable image in a non-news related context without a signed model release or release from the copyright owner. (In this case I would think your project would be sufficiently news-oriented enough to be exempt). I think clearing copyright issues has taken me much longer than the actual production of my project so far. By a lot. What are other's thoughts on this? Certainly for practice I might use material I don't have permission to use yet, but how far do you go as far as distribution of material you don't have the copyrights for? Any rules of thumb? Anyone ever encountered copyright problems? Am I mistaken in my understanding of copyright law?

Even though many people that put together silly video clips / animations or whatever like to use copyrighted music, from the start I've always wanted to use music that has been done by ourselves, or royalty-free music at a push.

That way, it's just one less thing to worry about.

Saying that, we did use Handel's 'Arrival of the Queen of Sheba' at the end of our last video. What are the implications for using classical music I wonder?

I can't speak for elsewhere, but in the UK, if you belong to the IAC you can purchase licences via the IAC to use UK produced music that you have purchased though normal retail means in videos for non profit, show to friends only, purposes. That includes showing at affiliated video clubs, and competitions. I do have those licences.

The internet is a bit grey, as in theory anyone could access a site, though in practice mine is usually seen by people I invite to do so, or from within a 'club' such as this.

Having said that, most of my videos do use purchased copyright 'free' music, or music created for me by a friend.

Composers copyright ceases 70 years after their death, but new recordings of classical music would have publishers and artists copyright. Many Copyright 'free' CDs use their own specially recorded versions of classical music, and obviously you buy the right to use that music by buying the CD.

This particular video uses music that has also been used by several other similar clips I found on the internet, and in fact that particular track was used so often in the 9/11 context that it made the album it appeared on a hit, a year after it's release, so I don't think my using it is likely to cause a problem.

If you are making a video for sale, then you would have to get clearance as JKing describes.

Hi Gillian,
    I hope my post didn't seem accusatory. Getting licenses has just been such a frustration for me recently I wanted to hear other's thoughts or experiences.

What is the IAC? Sounds like a pretty good system. The music would have to be produced in the UK for you to use it? Would film festivals and the like count? Can non-UK residents join this group?

Best regards,

Default images

I learned something interesting about images this week. There is not a concern apparently in relation to showing the image of a public figure without obtaining a models release.

The reason is that world leaders and politicians become somewhat public domain and represent more than just themselves in an image of them (ie George Bush the citizen ceased to exist the minute he took public office and he now is an icon of the United States), (This must be true or Michael Moore would be out of business as I am sure W would not have signed a model release form for him).

This would also apply to say rock stars - you are allowed to use an image of them that you snapped on the street, but as they say in the warnings before a concert no photography is permitted. Thus you could never obtain an image of a band playing - legally and distribute it. The only exception here is it can not be used to endorse something of course

The only concern as per the video Gillian has posted is taking an image that another photographer has taken rather than the concern being the subject. This too is kind of interesting - someone can correct my terminology but there is something where you are allowed to take images from film and include them in other projects - I belive it is called "Aquisition" or aquiring or something akin to "sampling" in music. Here the laws are interesting but very different than music. According to the news I heard this week you can sample images as still frames from copyrighted material - so it may be safer to take an image of George Bush from a commercial than taking a photo that belongs to CNN

Overall for copyright (and I know we have had this discussion before John, but to repeat myself for the post) I fell very strongly that you should borrow all that you want as you are producing your project. This frees you up to get exactly the message across that you want at a zero budget. As the project nears completion and you think you may have something that could end up being distributed then begin to sub out the concernnig audio or images with fully authorized material. If you try to create everything yourself from day one you will slow the creative process.

Gillian: I see now that you were trying to be positive with the leaders images at the end - I misinterpreted it as a hopeless reminder of who brought us all here and why should we see the same people bringing us out of it? I am usually a glass half full kind of guy guess I got that one wrong
    The tale of my death has been greatly exagerated

The I A C is the Institute of Amateur Cinematographers, their website is www.theiac.org.uk

They have negotiated with the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), The Mechanical Copyright Protection Society (MCPS) and Phonographic Permormance Ltd (PPL) for IAC members to buy from the IAC licences to enable them to use commercially produced music in the circumstances outlined above. As one of the agreements is with the British Phonographic Industry, I imagine this only applies to UK produced music. Whether residents outside the UK can join the IAC, I also don't know.

Here's the specific page of the IAC website http://www.theiac.org.uk/central/copyright.htm

Other countries may have a local equivalent of the IAC - I did a quick websearch but of the two USA sites I found
    http://www.ampsvideo.com/ and http://www.ammaweb.org/
    neither mentioned a similar scheme, even though they have web links to the IAC site (and in the case of the latter, my own local video club, Surrey Border!!) Join and start lobbying perhaps - or at least email them and find out whether it's been tried.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast