Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play audio as you scrub left and right?

Default Play audio as you scrub left and right?

I used to use premiere, and in that, when you use the left and right arrow to move around the timeline, it played audio. I used this to help me match stuff to the beat of music accurately. I am in the process of evaluating vegas, and would like to know if this is possible in vegas...I can grab the position indicator and drag it left and right with the mouse, but this does not work as well.
    Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

I don't think you can, though I'm a little confused as to how what you want to do would help you cut to the music.

Personally I play the music through and press "M" to drop a marker wherever I (might) want to place a clip. Normally this'll be on every beat or bar and it makes it a doddle to cut - even more so now "snap to markers" is an option.

Just in case you're not aware, you can use the JKL keys to play backwards/stop/forward and repeated presses will speed the play up, and this WILL include the audio - so it's a pretty quick way to navigate to a particular point in the audio, if that's what you're after.
    Tim

Smile Maybe or not

Hey,
    I have a SOny Vegas Pro 8 and when i move the "playline"(forgot what it's named) with the mouse, you can usually hear the sounds. If you move it fast you just hear little tiny voice, if slow, you can make out something.
    I hope that helped,
    130993st

Neither of these methods are as accurate as moving one frame left or right, which is what you can do in premiere.The JKL method isn't as good as you have to hit say JK to try and skip one frame left and LK to skip one frame right.
    I would like to be able to tie in very accurately to the music, pulses of light on beats within bars or even sub-beats, which other methods just cannot do.
    The only way I can get anywhere close in Vegas is to open the soundtrack in the trimmer and zoom right in close so that the mouse movement is not overly sensitive.

Cool Well

I personally suggest that you use adobe premier pro because it is for proffesional editors and it's better for special effects and animations. I use vegas cuz its much simpler, but u can't do alot in it.
    130993st

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 130993st View Post
    I use vegas cuz its much simpler, but u can't do alot in it.
    130993st
    Oh dear, oh dear.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evilc View Post
    Neither of these methods are as accurate as moving one frame left or right, which is what you can do in premiere.The JKL method isn't as good as you have to hit say JK to try and skip one frame left and LK to skip one frame right.
    I would like to be able to tie in very accurately to the music,
    Are you seriously suggesting that you can hear one frame's worth of audio and that's useful That's a serious question, by the way, not sarcastic.

Surely much more accurate is to stretch the audio on the timeline (or the trimmer as you suggest) then you can SEE the beats and sub beats and drop markers on them. When I need anything that accurate I usually play through the music and drop markers whilst listening and then zoom in to the audio and tidy up by moving the markers onto the beats.

In practice I find the beats may well fall in between one frame and the next so there's always an element of compromise.

Don't forget you can also slow down the rate of playback using the control at the lower left of the standard vegas layout. This should help you place accurate markers.
    Tim

Cool I agree

Yes, i have to say i agree with tim here. The post above me is very good
    130993st

? what did u mean by that

Blog Entries

I meant maybe you should duck before people here who, by the very nature of this forum, are Vegas users start hurling missiles at people who suggest you can't do a lot in Vegas.

Actually though, Vegas users here don't tend to be as evangelical as, say, Mac users, so you might like to start what might be an interesting discussion. But it should be in a new thread as it's entirely off-topic.

Actually I'll start it for you. Look for a thread entitled "What can Premiere Pro do that Vegas cannot?" and start listing.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast