Thread: HDV on HDD or MiniDV question

Default HDV on HDD or MiniDV question

Please can someone clarify the difference between the quality / editability of HDV recorded on to an HDD camcorder compared to a MiniDV tape.

On a HDD camcorder I believe the video is recorded as MPEG2 which if I am right makes it no better than a DVD camcorder - other than the fact that you can record more video.

But what format is HDV video when recorded to a MiniDV tape. I don't own an HDV camcorder but captured some footage from a friend's the other day that was captured as MPEG2.

So with the lowest compression ratio on a HDD camcorder is there no difference with that recorded to a MiniDV tape?

If so, then from an editing perspective neither is good is it? Apart from the fact that if outputting to DVD then you have more pixels to start with, there is still going to be a loss of quality due to starting with MPEG2 compressed video.

But then again, I could be confused about all of this, hence the reason for my question.

Thanks in advance for any answers on this.

Blog Entries

Simply put, if you want a the least hassle in terms of editing, your best bet at this point in time is miniDV. It's a mature product support by every video editing application and moreover a proven recording and editing medium for us enthusiasts.

You're pretty much spot on with everything you say, so it's time to play the percieved better quality against ease of use trade-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Simply put, if you want a the least hassle in terms of editing, your best bet at this point in time is miniDV. It's a mature product support by every video editing application and moreover a proven recording and editing medium for us enthusiasts.

You're pretty much spot on with everything you say, so it's time to play the percieved better quality against ease of use trade-off.
    Marc - many thanks for your reply on this.

So to clarify are you saying that there is a difference in the compression ratio of HDV recorded on to an HDD camcorder compared to HDV recorded on to a MiniDV tape?

I was surprised that the editing software I used to capture from my friend's HDV MiniDV camcorder offered MPEG2 as the only capture format. So does a camcorder that records HDV to MiniDV also do so using MPEG2 ((as with HDD) or does it use another format and the software should have offered more options?

Thanks again for your answers on this and sorry if I have confused what you have said.

Blog Entries

Typically 'HD' on HDD is AVCHD. This uses a form of MPEG-4 and guess what? It's even more compressed.

Marc - many thanks again for your answer - much appreciated.