Thread: My introduction and a question... Harlan

Default My introduction and a question... Harlan

Hello everyone:
    First allow me to introduce myself. Name is Harlan, and I am new to all this Video and movie making thing. I am a soundman actually, composer music, etc. I have I think everything I need now to make movies on the computer, editing what I have and or planning on shooting with my Cam Corder. I use the ATI All-in-Wonder TV Video card, on a PIII 1.2 GHZ 256 meg Ram, and 100 GIG HD for now. All this will of course grow over time, starting with memory and Hard Drive.
    I am going to try learning Adobe Premiere (Xmas Gift) but wondering about maybe a simpler software package.
    The first thing I ran into was Where does one go to get public domain files like the simple Countdown leader you found on the old Cellulose Films? Is that available? or maybe I need to drag out my 16mm and load it up and record the countdown leader and save as an AVI file.
    Any way, Hi and howdy from me!
    Harlan

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums!

Adobe Premiere is a great application and if you've already got it, I'd recommend starting to learn it NOW. It may be a little daunting to start with, but pretty soon you'll figure it all out and you'll be pleased you didn't start with lesser applications

Premiere ships with a countdown you can use. Select file>new>universal counting leader. This will put a countdown timer in the project window, then drag that onto the timeline.

Hope this helps!

Default thank you :)

Thank you for the Welcome and the answer to all my woes! Yep! that was the Counter i wanted to use. I am glad to hear that the Premiere is a good program, but kinda figured it would be, as so far Adobe products have never let us down here. I am still Daunted by Illustrator, but love Photoshop. I am having problems with Premiere already, using transitions it seems I always get an Insufficient amount of footage to complete transition. maybe the way i recorded the footage and saved the files? Dunno but is something to play with for sure. i found a site on using Premiere I am trying out. Next....."THE BOOK"
    Thanks Again
    Harlan

Blog Entries

No probs, glad I could help!

yep. i'm having that same problem with the transitions and the "insufficient fottage" it's annoying

to remedy this all you need do is make sure you capture a couple of seconds more of footage either side of that required. i.e. a couple fo seconds both before and after the start and end you want.

In premiere, after importing this footage as an asset, set the start and end points. Premiere will 'remember' that the asset imported has some 'not required' footage excluded from the project. This extra footage is what is required for the transition to work on.

As I recall there is an option (or default) that the last (or first) frame of the clip will be used for the transition.

HTH