Thread: Need help with pre-filming stages.

Post Need help with pre-filming stages.

Wow, where do I start here? Well, I guess I'd like to say I am liking the forums and they have been a help in the past.

Ok, here is where I would like to start. I am making a short video (about 3-7 minutes) to debut a small internet series we're going to make, which will sort of be like Chad Vader only in a WaverlyFlams kind of way. The video is indeed a comedy and will be a parody of the new USA show Bakugan, which I must say ruined American Anime ().

We're going to need a good green-screen that won't cost too much, and TubeTape (sadly) can't be the answer this time due to budget (but who needs money anyways, if you like filming, get out and film!). My first question is: how can I build my own greenscreen and what software should I use to edit it? From what I hear greenscreen software works with any solid color on a board, is that true? If so, I'm going to get the cheap paint to film the little yellow submarine.

Onto the costume, this is the main character we're trying to recreate. Possibly this little girl, too. I really don't think the costume is really all that important right now, but I am trying to at least make us remind the viewers of those bakupeoples. It's a parody, you have to look like the characters in some ways!

That's all I need to know for now.

well, for the greenscreen, you could just use a technique a while back, where you get a bunch of expo/display boards that are green and just set them up.

for the costume
    Use a jean jacket and jeans, preferably tight ones, and put ducktape on the gray areas
    gloves-just buy winter gloves and cut off the tips.
    glasses-biker goggles.
    shoes- looks like soccer or football cleats will do the trick.

this is all pretty obvious stuff, and might not matter, but i hope it helps somehow

Quote Originally Posted by Hellopayton View Post
    My first question is: how can I build my own greenscreen and what software should I use to edit it? From what I hear greenscreen software works with any solid color on a board, is that true? If so, I'm going to get the cheap paint to film the little yellow submarine..
    Good chroma kleying is an artform and will be hard to make it look very good if you go cheap. Cheap on the software I mean.

indeed the colour canbe anything but choose wisely! teh trick is that watever colour you choose then all insatnces of that colour wil be removed from teh image and made transparent. Choose black and half you image will go away instantly because just about everything has a small element of black in it. Don;t chosoe red because you skin tones will go semi transparent as well. This is why most choose blue or green because both colours work well with skin tones. if your costume is blue then obvisouly don't choose blue either or you'll end up wiht a floating head and hands for your footage.

light the green screen seperately from the actors and make sure they stand far enough away from the green screen so not to catch any green reflections or your troubles will double.

4. Default

As far as the green screen goes, I've actually just recently built my own for under $30. I found the perfect lime green-colored fabric at a local fabric store (it was $2/yard), and then I simply built a frame out of PVC piping (which I found for $1.44 at 1/2" diameter and 10' long) and attached my screen to it using simple hand-clamps. Mine had to be large for my purposes (10'x10'), but you can build it to any size you like.

For the software, I use Jahshaka (jahshaka.org - Home), which is a completely free video-editing software program that is amazingly powerful. The only downside is that there is very little documentation on it, so you'll have to figure out a lot of on your own, although there are a couple of good posts on the Jahshaka forum (Jahshaka Forums) about chroma keying (green screening.)

I would give you a couple of tips from my own painful experience if you choose to go this route:
    1) Make sure the screen is taut on your frame; wrinkles create shadows and havoc.
    2) As someone already said, lighting is everything, any kind of gradient or "hot-spots" on the screen will also create problems.
    3) Make sure your subject doesn't cast a shadow on the screen (another reason to give distance between screen and subject.)

Hope my meager amount of experience has been of help. If you'd like more details, I'd be happy to provide them.