Thread: Advice regarding NTSC HD camcorder purchase for UK use

Question Advice regarding NTSC HD camcorder purchase for UK use

Hi Everyone,

Have searched quite a few forums regarding NTSC / PAL compatibilty and have been unable to reach a satisfactory conclusion regarding purchasing a cheaper NTSC HD camcorder from the USA. A lot of advise iappears outdated as it doesn't touch upon HD.

In a nutshell, I am about to spend £560 on a PAL canon HF-100 or £700 on an HF-10 SD high def camcorder for use in the UK. However, have come across some internet sites where it seems the equivalent NTSC camcorder is £100-£200 cheaper. I am assured by the seller that it will be 100% compatible with HD televisions here and also a DVD writer I have.

Does anyone own the above NTSC camcorder or similar HD camcorder and have any experience with playback through UK PAL HDTV sets and indeed any experience with compatibilty / quality of video when doing the editing / blu-ray burning process.

In a nutshell NTSC cameras are cheaper than PAL cameras , why? Probably Europe has more taxes than USA .

You won't be able to play your footage in your tv set directly from the camera, dv camera or hd camera doesn't matter .

You will be able to donwload your footage into your computer and than convert it to pal and burn a dvd to watch on your tv set but i would not advise, first you loose quality , if it is noticible or not I don't know, never done it .
    Second if you want to use a tv set on location , where you're shooting uou can't because your tv set is pal and the camera not .
    Hope I could help .
    Visit my portuguese blog :

Hi RDINIS,

Thanks for your comments.

I am sure there are some compatibility issues. However, like me, it seems you are postulating.

What I am hopeful for is that someone can advise me who has actual recent experience buying an NTSC HD camcorder and running it in the UK.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

NTSC - never the same colour twice - nuff said.

Pay the extra and then you dont need to worry about any comaptability issues, or warranty issues, or getting stung for import tax / vat or the crap resale value (probably).

Better still dont buy either of those cameras - they are both overpriced toys for pixel whores in my informed opinion.

You could get a decent s/h pdx10 or pd150 or even a pd170 (all sony) and it will cap all over the so called hdv cameras you mention.

I have used a hg10 - same but records to HD and I was very underwhelmed, but to be fair I was no more underwhelmed than I am by most sub £1000 HDV cameras.

Thanks for your advice Mark,

It seems as if it may be a false economy to go down the NTSC route....

However, in terms of your suggestions for alternative camorders, I also don't want to walk around on holiday pretending to be a BBC reporter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Western Europe

Just to pick up on a point Mark said about warranties, US warranties don't cover you when you get back to the EU. If a fault develops on your camcorder or you accidentally drop it one day, you will have to pay the repair bill yourself, even if it's still under warranty, in a lot of cases this can be as much as the price of a new camcorder. I would buy where you are and get a PAL camcorder instead, that way you can sleep peacefully in your bed at night. This subject has come up numerous times on this forum in the past year.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Can't wait anymore as going on holiday to Morocco in 2 weeks - have stumped up £560 for a canon HF-100 from Dixons on-line PAL version. Yippee, 2 8 Gig SDHC cards from Amazon for £15 each to go with it. Should keep me busy!!!

Bye for now,

If your asking wy PAL people want NTSC camcorderes, i can tell you that in Portugal for the price tag on a canon HF20, i could get on amazon:

Canon HF20
    Canon WD-H37 II
    Canon BP208 (batery)
    Canon Carring bag
    Canon tripod
    Hauge Mini-Motion Cam

cause 1us dollar is 1,50Euros