Thread: what hd camcorder

Default what hd camcorder

hi

basically, im looking at getting a full high def camcorder in half a year. i shoot mainly extreme sport videos and I'm pretty into it, and decided a full high def should be the way to go.

Im not entirely sure what I should be looking for but I'll give a quick list of the sorts of things I need:

high quality, sharp, full high def.
    reliable (for example when skiing with it, or riding with it on my back).
    mid size (dont need it small, but dont want a MASSIVE one cause ill be carrying it around alot in a backpack).
    image stabiliser if possible
    manual focus
    wide aperature
    nice mic if possible
    consider the nature of what i do and film I cant deal with a flimsy thing.

I think thats the main things I need out of it.

also worth noting price really isnt an issue, obviously I dont wanna get ripped off, but I am looking at the top end.

hope you can help and/or point me in the right direction

thanks

Blog Entries

I dont think you have thought this through properly. Many of your wishes are contradictory...

'high quality, sharp, full high def.'

This means little really, marketing flim flam, however if you truly mean the upper end of the hdv (hd is something else entirley and far more costly) performence envalope you are looking at 10,000 up, and the camera will be big and heavy.

' reliable (for example when skiing with it, or riding with it on my back). '

Not a chance. The only cameras that wil survive regualr treatment like that are solid state cameras with much reduced image quality.

'mid size (dont need it small, but dont want a MASSIVE one cause ill be carrying it around alot in a backpack).'

There isnt a camera made that saisfies you first requirement that will not fill your rucksack totally - and you will ruin it in a week if you do carry it in your rucksack.

' image stabiliser if possible '

Probable but rarely fitted on really good cameras as they degrade image quality.

' manual focus '

Most.

' wide aperature '

Most standard cam corder lenses dont go that wide - dunno why, it's odd, but high end stuff can swap lenses and low end stuff - use an adaptor.

' nice mic if possible '

Camcorders never ever come with a decent mike. What mike you need depends on what you want it for, more info needed.

Having said all of the above the best I can suggest in a pana hvx200, about 2,500 - but dont come crying to me when you bust it and yourself snow boarding with it gaffer taped to your head !