Thread: Looking for a good ShotGun Mic for Film Making

1. Default Looking for a good ShotGun Mic for Film Making

I have Sony's Camcorder(HDR HC5e).And now i have to purchase a good shot gun microphone that goes well with this Camcorder and offcourse captures sound, good.

I dont have much knowledge about the microphones, but i read somewhere about "Azden SGM-X Super-Cardioid Shotgun Camcorder Microphone", it is compatible with Sony HDR HC5e camcorder. Any advices on this????

What about Sony's own Shot Gun microphones, are they good for film making???
    like ECM-HGZ1 and ECM-HST1, or other such Shot Gun Mics which are compatible with this Camcorder?

Please suggest..

Blog Entries

A 'good' shot gun mic is of a similar price to your cam corder, and well worth it imho.

At the value end of the market I would reccomend the sennheiser mk 300.

Blog Entries

I assume you're looking for microphones at the budget end of the market?

Personally, there are only two microphones worth considering under 200. Sorry but that's the way it is. Find the money and get a decent microphone. If you go cheap you'll be disappointed when you hear the results compared to a decent mic. For general purpose recordings I would recommend the Audio Technica AT 897 at about 170

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AT897 : Line + Gradient Condenser Microphone

For "film making" where you want to capture actors' speech distinctly without too much ambient sounds, the AT 3035 at 220 ish is very good value for money.

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AT8035 : Line + Gradient Condenser Microphone

However, if you can find that little bit more cash, the AT 4073a is a lovely piece of kit and excellent value for money, although about 550.

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AT4073a : Line + Gradient Condenser Microphone

Blog Entries

Avoid the rode video mic - cheap but it didnt make me cheerfull....

Got to agree that the Sennheiser MKE 300 is a superb piece of budget kit. I picked one up for about 100 from Thomann in Germany. I use it for most things and recently got a good test of it's abilities on a shoot. I placed my self in natural basin about 150 yds away from and about 50yds deep from a line of archers on a ridge. Now I could only just hear the blokes calling down down as there was a slight cross wind but the mike picked them up as a clear as a bell with no wind interference. The vocal audio also has a depth to it and does not sound thin or tinny.