Thread: Tessellate By Mark Baluk - film fest entry.

Default Tessellate By Mark Baluk - film fest entry.

Hey guys,

Here is my latest film. I'd enjoy any feedback, good or bad. If anyone wants some explanation I have no problem writing up the main components and its meaning or my thoughts on what it could mean.

YouTube - Tessellate

download @ http://markbaluk.com/vids/Tessellate.wmv [60mb]

Thanks.
    http://balukmagic.com
    taking impossibility to a whole new level

Blog Entries

That was excellent. As a piece art it worked really well - I watched all the way through totally into it, rare for a pop vid.

I found the edges of the wide adaptor at bottom l and r distracting. Liked the colour treatemnt. Snappy show off editing but used wisely. Nice use of glidecam. Final dissapear shot was not as classy as the rest of the vid anf looked a bit out of place.

Top work.

I enjoyed watching it aswell and as Mark says it works very well as an art piece, great use of a glidecam/steadicam, the sweeping shot onto the fallen tree was the best. The 8 second wait at the start for the audio is a bit too long, I would make that shorter. I thought some of the walks in the forest were bordering on the comical and they didn't work with seeing blood on the guys hands right at the start of the video.

A reasonably strong pivotal moment at 2.24 (roughly 50 per cent of the way through) where the talent ends up in the water (how many times did you ask him to jump in?). Again, pity about the vignetting at the bottom left and bottom right and the effect of the talent disappearing at 4.08 in the graveyard isn't smooth, the split screen line is visible. Apart from a few technical problems, overall very impressed with it.

Thanks for the comments guys.

It's good to hear you were totally into it Mark!

Niko, by the sweeping shot onto the fallen tree was the best what exactly do you mean? [what time does it play at?]

He only jumped into the water twice, and both takes were used in the video :P

About the split screen at the end, it looked perfectly fine when i edited it in Premiere [Pro 1]. Everytime i saved it it would render it like that, does anyone know why?

Just thought I'd give small update. Out of 22 films, I received 3rd place. Alright I guess, I think it's because its just a film that some might hate and some might love. Highly interpretal.

well done for getting 3rd place mate! that place you filmed was so beautiful!
    and i loved the story and the fact it replays it from two different sides so you had a better understanding about what was going on! it was confusing at the start but then it all came together at the end!
    i love films like that, because it makes it less predictable!

well done ^^

Hi there,
    I enjoyed the mystery of where this was all leading as well.
    I thought perhaps the guy could have made more of an attempt to save the guy that fell in the water though
    Good one!