Thread: Still image effect? (unsure where to post)

Thumbs up Still image effect? (unsure where to post)

I'm not quite sure where to post this querie since I doubt it's possible with basic video editing software, but I might be wrong!

Basically, it's regarding a sort of still image/but moving effect I saw in a music video that was made back in 2000. At several points throughout the video the camera moves as if it's moving through a still image. I find it quite hard to explain, so instead of rambling on I've posted a link to the actual video itself. The first example (around 31 seconds into the video) of this you see a woman throwing a pillow, the image freezes, but the camera swivels to one of the singers. Here it is:

YouTube - Black Coffee - All Saints

I'm just kind of curious as to how this effect was achieved? I think it's quite a cool effect and wondered if it's possible with any video editing programs, or is it something that's completely up there on the high end?

Edit: Oh, and there's a good few examples towards the end of the video from 4:25 onwards.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks.
    Last edited by Captain Malcolm Reynolds; 05-24-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Nothing too hard here - just very expensive. You could call this a pretty standard Matrix style effect.

Set up an array of still cameras and two movie cameras. Have the set of still cameras arranged between the two movie cameras. As themovie cameras roll make sure the still cameras are all synchronised and take a still image with all of them at the same time. Each will pohotograph the scene froma slightly different angle. Put them all together within your timeline and you will have that nice still pan you are looking for. Watch all the making of stuff on 'The Matrix' you'll see it all in action.

As I said. nothard to do just very expensive to set up and do.

Altyernatively if you are justy lookign for a very gentle a slight pan of the camera within a still image then there is a tutorial over at videocopilot

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Nothing too hard here - just very expensive. You could call this a pretty standard Matrix style effect.

Set up an array of still cameras and two movie cameras. Have the set of still cameras arranged between the two movie cameras. As themovie cameras roll make sure the still cameras are all synchronised and take a still image with all of them at the same time. Each will pohotograph the scene froma slightly different angle. Put them all together within your timeline and you will have that nice still pan you are looking for. Watch all the making of stuff on 'The Matrix' you'll see it all in action.

As I said. nothard to do just very expensive to set up and do.

Altyernatively if you are justy lookign for a very gentle a slight pan of the camera within a still image then there is a tutorial over at videocopilot
    You're right; that does sound expensive! But interesting to know. It never even occured to me that this was pretty much the Matrix effect. I can imagine it'd be time consuming, but it's good to know how it's achieved anyway. Thanks.

I'll also check out videocopilot.