Thread: How Much for first paid vwedding video

Question How Much for first paid vwedding video

I have been dilly daddling with Wedding videography for almost six years producing 6 amatuer but complete, wedding videos. These have mostly been for friends and although I have been re-imbursed some costs as a thank you gesture I have yet to be paid. However, I have just been approached by a friend of a friend who has seen one of my videos and would like me to give them a qoute . since, until now i have not thought of this as any thing more than a hobby i haven't looked into cost.

I have a Sony FX1 and a radio mic system to hand. I have a decent computer and Final cut pro for editing and was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of what i should qoute? and what cost facters i should consider i.e. copyright seeing as I would be charging? and also maybe what services I should offer and should not offer seeing as I am only a newbie (I don't want to get in over my head).

As I said i have done a number of vids and they have already been impressed with what i have done before , I'm certain they would not want to pay a huge amount (and with my experiance, even though i would say i was good ) i shouldn't ask for a large payment. any thoughts and advice welcome.

any how thanks in advance,

Gary

Blog Entries

If you treat this as a business, then the price you charge would have to be the market rate. That is the price at which people are willing to buy your product whilst you are making a profit. How big your profit will be is based on how much better your product is than others in the market.

So start off by pricing out your costs. How long does it take to film, edit and present the final video? What is the depreciation costs of your equipment and what are the physical costs of each shoot and edit (packaging, fuel, etc). Only when you have priced out your costs can you start to see how much you need to charge to break even.

If your charge rate is less than this break even point, then there isn't much point in doing weddings! If you don't think you can charge much more than your break even point, then perhaps you're not good enough to film weddings? Simply put, if you don't think you're good enough to charge much, then why would you film someones wedding.

So my point is: do you think you have the talent to do this? If you don't think you can charge much, you won't make any money and perhaps the Bride and Groom will be dissapointed with what you offer. You would also create a negative effect on the market, and drive down prices further.

I'm not sure you understood what i was asking. I have created a few videos for couples over the years but only as a hobby and as a favour for friends who simply asked me as a trained videographer (I work for a major TV broadcaster). I have never considered doing it as a business but obviously doing a video is a lot of work. If I wanted to do it as a business i do believe my product would be off a good standard.

My question is simply what should I charge now that i have had a referral from a friend. The couple in question like what i have offered and seen their friends video (which i did). I don't know them, they want me to do it, they are friends of friends so even though i do not want to con them i do want to charge a resonable amount. I simply will not do all the work i have put in the past for people i do not know for free (which i gladly did for friends). Also i have in the past cut corners but seeing as I would charge i would not be able to do this as i need to make sure the product is as good as i could make it which would be of good standard.

Blog Entries

I think my response is still relevant. Work out your costs and add a profit margin.

Blog Entries

I agree - there are only 2 answers.

Either your work is of merchantable quality then you charge the going rate - I am guessing but £1000 ish.

OR

You are a keen creative and then you do it for expenses.