Thread: Premeire Pro or something else, let me know plz!

Default Premeire Pro or something else, let me know plz!

Well I have non-existent editing experience and i need to know which editing suite to go for. I have been recommended Premeire Pro or Final Cut (haven't heard of it).

Now the person in question told me to get a Mac as they are best suited for editing, I already use a PC for music preproduction, but i thought i would ask you guys at this forum. Which editing suite should i use? Remember I will be purchasing a SonyVx2100 next week and hopefully another a month of so later so could someone please enlighten me :|

Well, I'm a fan of Adobe. Only ever used Premiere in a couple of different guises (6.5 and Pro) so that would get my vote.

I guess it's the old Mac vs PC argument really. Having never (and I mean ever) actually seen a Mac working I'm not going there as I cannot compare.

If you're serious and have the necessary then I suggest and recommend you have a good hard think about getting a PC with Premiere Pro and a Matrox RTX100 card in it.

Costs a few quid more (about 6 or 700 actually) but well worth it for all the real time capabilities.

Crazeski: ask your friend why he recommends the Mac for editing. It is true that Macs are favoured by graphics artists etc. because of the availability of software like Quark, and they're generally favoured by the craetive community because of their 'cool, unconventional' positioning. Also, Macs used to have a reputation for being more stable than PCs - but XP has fixed a lot of that. Fact is, as you know, you have - typically - much more choice of software and peripherals for a PC than you do for a Mac. Unless there's a really specific reason - other than just plain bias/prejudice - why your friend says a Mac will be better for video editing, I'd go for/stick with a PC. Cheers, Ian.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

It really all depends on what you prefer. Ive edited with Final Cut before, and yeah, its a little better than premiere pro if youre going to be doing things professionally. If you're getting a 2100 (i have a vx2000 and now a vx1000) im guessing youre going pretty hardcore at it. It really all depends how serious you are about it though. If youre doing home videos or just starting, PC. If youre going to be doing serious projects/long term things, go with Mac. dunno tho
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"

An interesting perspective on the MAC vs PC arguments that popped into my inbox this morning.

http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops...m?nl=d20040910

The bottom line seems to me is that there's no real room for Macs in business unless you want one in reception, just to look cool.

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks guys for the prompt replies, especially millsy, that link you gave me had me browsing through that site looking at replies about the Whole Apple comparison.

I think i'm gonna stay in the PC world for now as it is more cost effective and for the Apple Mac's price I can get a more specified PC model, plus theres the issue of being more familiar with the PC format.

Well I think Premeire Pro it is, so when i get it expect to see me joined to this site by the hip until i get a firm hold of the reins, unless i take to it like a duck to water, yeah right

Also Ian, my friend does say Apple is best for editing, but i think they would say Apple Macs could single handedly lower the developing world debt if only it had the chance and probably George Bush Jnr's intellect and that in itself is a feat by any one's standards

If you already own an use a PC there is no reason to go for a mac.
    And for the argument Mac v.s. PC I believe a lot of hard-core Mac people still thinks that PC's run DOS.

Adobe Premiere Pro is a really nice and easy to learn tool. Get a book for it a look at the tutorials at adobe.com and you'll be up and running in no time.

If you're gonna do this proffessionally I'd also consider Millsy's advice on getting a Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro card. One thing you should be aware of there is that you get a whole bunch of Adobe software (including premiere pro) bundled and pretty much for free. I also feel I should mention that if you're gonna go with a RT.X100 card I would be looking at a PC that is configured with this card from a PC builder that will give you support on it. I have read about people having strange problems with this card in some PC's... If you get a PC with this option from for example alienware if WILL work without problems.

DrGonzo

Agreed. From some of the stories I;ve seen and heard an RTX100 is definitely not a DIY option.