Thread: Newbie Questions...Plez help.

Default Newbie Questions...Plez help.

Hey all, I have always had an interest in video editing...but am finaly doing somethig about it. All i am looking to doing with my software is...Send my footage to my comp. Edit it, with music, fadeing, cool effects...things like that. And then just put it all back on the org. tape (i think thats posible) and maybe DVD in the future. I have a AMD XP Compaq presario 6000, and Panasonic DV camcorder. I do have some questions so here they are.

1. I have Windows Movie Maker on my computer...Is that a good program for what i am looking to doing? If not, i heard that pinacle is a good program, which one tho if so?

2. What kind of Card should i get JUST to be able to plug in my camcoder to the computer to transfer the footage?

3. Anyone know if my comp has a card already instaled so i can plug in my camcorder w\o haveing to buy a card?

Thanks alot for the help, GREATLY APRICIATED.
    NEW TO VIDEO EDITING....BUT I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANNA KNOW SOME TIPS....any help would be AWSOME.

Blog Entries

If your PC has a firewire/IEEE 1394/i.link port on the motherboard (It looks like a more rounded, fatter version of USB), then get a firewire lead anc connect your cam to the PC with that.

WMM2 will be more than adequate for a beginner. It will enable you to capture, edit, then export to WMV or AVI (not MPEG2 or DVD creation). Once you've got the hang of that, move on to something a bit more powerful such as EditStudio or invest in one of the higher end apps such as Premiere.

where can i find the I link port (the thing fater than the usb) on my computer, if i have one?

also, what is a firewire lead? Where can i find one.
    NEW TO VIDEO EDITING....BUT I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANNA KNOW SOME TIPS....any help would be AWSOME.

Mostly, you'll find it at the rear of the PC, somewhere near the USB and network sockets. (A few manufacturers put one on the front - makes connecting your iPod easier - but I guess you'd have noticed that). It's about the same size as a USB socket, but a little wider, and it's square on three sides but at the bottom is slightly elongated. Alternatively, look in Device Manager - that should tell you if you've got one installed.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...