Thread: Is this normal???????

Default Is this normal???????

Is it normal when saving a movie (approx. 1 hour long) to your hard drive to take up to 14 hours??????? I'm using format MPEG-2, template NTSC with Cable in Vegas Studio Platinum 6. Are there other settings I should use that would work just the same (burning a DVD) but not take as long?

thanks!
    Last edited by Karva89; 05-20-2008 at 04:05 AM.

Am I to understand you are preparing an MPEG-2 file prior to creating a DVD? Is this what you are saying? Because if this IS the case then this is NOT my experience. Once I have finished my editing I then create an INTERIM AVI of my work (there are some very good reasons to do this) ready for RENDERING an MPEG-2 file. This rendering is completed in something less than realtime, not your 14 hours.

OK, things that you really need to confirm:

* Project Settings correct

* Number of Special effects

* Stills sizes

* Mixed video content

All and more of these will affect the rendering time of a MPEG-2. You need to do some more work and organise your content for rendering. I doubt very much you are using a time-hogging template, unless you have configured a truly wacky set of parameters.

My advice?

1] Confirm your project settings are appropriate

2] "List" your FXs and mixed media you are asking the s/w to render to MPEG-2

And bring this info here.

Other than that separate hard drives for project content and rendering and not on the main system drive. If you haven't this then this requires much thrashing about by your PC and hence the time.

MPEG-2 rendering is a big demand on hardware and software. Having a Virus checker and links and call-outs to the Internet will also impinge on this.

Leave your search for a "better/quicker" template for MPEG-2 rendering, until you have ruled-out the items I have listed above. My thoughts are you have the brakes on and are revving the engine and wondering why you are taking so long to get to 10mph!!

Grazie

when you say saving, it easily can be mixed with saving the project and then rendering out a video, best to say render.

It can be normal on how long it takes to render based n how much effects, how many tracks, output quality, your machine's speed/power.
    -Sean
    http://www.Sean-Nelson.com
    intel core2 i7 960
    16GB DDR3
    Radeon HD6850
    Audigy 2 Soundcard
    2 x 24 Inch wide screen LCD Monitor + 30 inch tv.
    TBs and TBs of Storage+ SSD

Blog Entries

Indeed - 14 hours rendering for a one hour film is kind of fast.

If you were to render 4 clips at 15 mins long and then put them all in to render together would it be faster? I'm guessing that it would depend on how many transitions and effects you were to have in it.
    Remote File Is Too Large FTL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by surfstylez View Post
    I'm guessing that it would depend on how many transitions and effects you were to have in it.
    Yes.

Wink Yes

Yes It can be normal, as many people above me said, it depends on the amount of effects, the processors, your ram, etc...
    For me, a 10 minute clip with quite a lot of effects takes about 25 minutes. I have 2 gb ram and 2 proccesors.
    Hope this helped

130993st

when rendering out of vegas you should ALWAYS restart your computer before you start the render. For me one time i had started a render after doing some intense stuff on my computer (gaming, watching videos, downloading, ect.) a 45min video took 10 hours for me to render after that.

i usually just let it render overnight though, so it doesnt really matter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse Film Productions View Post
    45min video took 10 hours for me to render after that.
    And how long did it take when you did it with a restart?

Or are you proposing we all do a restart and offering as evidence only the "before" in a "before and after" ad
    Tim