Thread: Video File formats for DVD - please HELP!

Default Video File formats for DVD - please HELP!

Hey everyone...

I'm currently putting together a compilation DVD of a bunch of old short films I did in Sony DVD Architect 2.0. I rendered my films to .avi format in Vegas 7 and am trying to fit them all on one DVD. The DVD data capacity is 4.7 GB, but unfortunately, each individual movie is a very large file, usually at least a couple of GB big. In total, the 9 movies equal about 2 hours 30 min of running time and I suspect they should all fit on one disc since feature films of this length and longer are put on DVD's without any problems. I'm wondering if anybody can tell me what I need to do to be able to fit these films on one disc. Whether it's simply rendering the films to a different file format or something more involved. I'm relatively inexperienced with DVD authoring and could really use some help here. It's important that I find an alternate format for these films without sacrificing any of the video quality. Thanks a lot for your help!

Blog Entries

To be playable on a standalone DVD player, video on a DVD must be encoded and held in a particular way. If you take a look at a DVD on a PC, you see various different folders and files. DVD authoring software such as dvdlab - DVDlab DVD authoring tool - will take your video files (your saved AVI files) and convert these into something playable on a DVD. You'll also be able to add menus, chapters etc to enable playblack.

The time limit imposed on DVD is largely due to the quality you want. Again, without getting technical, the higher the quality of video, the shorter the amount. This is generally subject to a lower limit of one hour, and a higher limit of 8 hours (on a dual-layer disc onthe lowest quality setting).

So to do as you want and store all your videos on a DVD, you will need to get yourself some DVD authoring software to playback on a DVD player.

If, on the other hand you just want to put all your videos on one disc, then all you would have to do is convert these videos using a codec such as DivX. This will squeeze file sizes down and maintain most of the quality. For a convertor, try superc - SUPER

Blog Entries

Aplogies, just re-read your post and see that you have Sony DVD Architect 2.0. You can use this to author the DVD.

Default Re:Video File formats for DVD - please HELP!

Nice job! It's really nice link that you have shared with us.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 05-26-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: link removed

Blog Entries

Are you taking the piss? You've posted on various forums over the internet giving this site a bad rep with spam linking to a site that people think is this one. And to top it all, you actually have the audicity to post your link here - which is a copy of this site in a proxy / frame! It was because of you that I had to spend hours reading about proxy sites and try and implement something to break out of your frames.