Thread: Newb Q: Controlling the speed of a zoom...

Default Newb Q: Controlling the speed of a zoom...

Hallo! I'm doing an AVP constructed mostly from still pics. Among the stills I want to use are group pics. What I would like to do is make a frame with the group in a wide shot, then zoom in to someone in the pic. I tried doing this using the Image Pan Video Effect but to my consternation, I can't control the zoom.

It looks like a jump cut, when what I would like is a time controlled fluid zooming effect from the wide shot, to the element in the still pic I would like to isolate. I'd really need to control the zoom speed since the all the stills cross-dissolve into each other, and a jump cut would stick out like a really sore thumb. Any ideas how I could do this? Thanks!

(I'm using Premiere 6.5)

Blog Entries

been a while since I used Premiere 6.5 but here goes:

Click on the motion setup in the effects control panel. From here you can set up the path of your motion and the scale/position. By combing these two values you can zoom in and out on various points. You can control the speed of the zoom by increasing the space between the in and out points - eg set the zoom at 100%, then move along the timeline and set to 50%.

Hope this is clear. If not, I can dig out 6.5 and explain step by step. Suffice to say, it is possible and easy (but manual and tedious!)

Thank you thank you thank you!

*worships at feet*

I was able to do that after a few trials, and I'm happy with the result. Using delay, I held the start and end of the zooms, then using the direction tool, I was able to zoom which way I wanted. Thank you sooo much.

Blog Entries

Glad I could point you in the right direction!