Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interlaced (24i) or Progressive (50p)?

Default Interlaced (24i) or Progressive (50p)?

...my XL2 has the above two choose from...which is the most used or which on is ther better option?

That would be 24x2=48 fields a second or 50 frames a second?

24FPS = cinema? So 24i would be for full on films surely?
    50FPS = 2xPAL rate in progressive . Sounds great! Good for TV and DVD and you can get super smooth slowmos.

FYI see here for how to deinterlace to double rate so you could turn that 24i into 48p to enable you to do smooth slowmos like 50p on 25FPS PAL
    Last edited by evilc; 05-15-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evilc View Post
    What are you shooting?
    I, for example, make videos of my riding exploits. I like interlaced because it lets me deinterlace to double frame rate (eg 50FPS footage from PAL DV) giving me silky smooth slowmos. However, alternate lines have been "guessed" so I suppose you lose quality but I don't really see it.

Also, what is your target? interlaced (SD TV) or Progressive (PC/Web, Modern LCD TVs, HD-DVD)

So, horses for courses is my answer

[Edit] I just noticed you said 24i or 50p? So that would be 24x2=48 fields a second or 50 frames a second? That'd be a no brainer surely?
    For wedding videos mate....I noticed Premier Pro CS3 only captures interlaced:
    For editing with IEEE1394 (FireWire/i.LINK) DV equipment.
    Standard PAL video (4:3 interlaced).
    48kHz (16 bit) audio.
    You also mentioned deinterlace...can that be achieved with PPro CS3?

see my edited post above
    Yes, I use CS3 and I do the deinterlace trick. I guess that you will be using 50p for the wedding DVD but the deinterlace trick as detailed there gives unbelievably good results (IMHO)

You can also get the Deinterlace Smooth plugin for AVISynth (Not just virtualdub as detailed there) and just use avisynth to frameserve to premiere so you don't need to render an intermediate copy for the slowmo, just write an .avs script

Quote Originally Posted by evilc View Post
    see my edited post above
    Yes, I use CS3 and I do the deinterlace trick. I guess that you will be using 50p for the wedding DVD but the deinterlace trick as detailed there gives unbelievably good results (IMHO)

You can also get the Deinterlace Smooth plugin for AVISynth (Not just virtualdub as detailed there) and just use avisynth to frameserve to premiere so you don't need to render an intermediate copy for the slowmo, just write an .avs script
    Damn, you are a pro, you know your stuff

Nope, just a geek by trade who has been making extreme sports videos as a hobby for 6 years.

I have done a LOT of self-learning (As in google. Had next to zero help from anyone face-to-face) and a lot of experimentation.

I have a lot to learn about editing technique and the "arty" side of things but I am pretty good at the tech side

Oh, and if you want to just deinterlace normally, PPro will handle that just fine - tick "Deinterlace" in Render Movie or right click a clip and select "Always Deinterlace". If you slow down the video at all though, I would turn off "frame blend" as it looks awful (right click clip).
    Last edited by evilc; 05-15-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Evil what kind of camcorder do you use for your extreme sports. Wondering if that same camcorder would be good for me to film my hunting and fishing stuff thanks

LOL, for about the 5th time today on this forum I will link to this camera (Sorry for sounding like a stuck record)

SAMSUNG's Digital World - Miniket | VP-X300L

Blinding for hunting I reckon. I was gonna try mounting mine on a paintball gun soon, I think a down the barrel view would rock! I reckon I will edit up a mock video game (complete with score and lives etc) which should be hilarious. Also external lens is splashproof - good for fishing I reckon you could mount the lens on the rod and get a rod-cam lol!

On the video page I linked in the post above, "Lard 13 - Miniket Madness" is shot entirely with this camera.
    Last edited by evilc; 05-15-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Mistake: it is actually 24p & 50i (not 24i, 50p as titled)

evilc....what mode would you recommend to shoot a wedding video in then??

If you are putting it on a DVD, that is PAL, no?

So PAL is 25FPS. 50i would be your best match as 25 evenly divides into 50 and so you don't have to "make up" any frames.

If you used 24p, you would be missing 1 frame a second and have to do some deep magick to make it 25FPS for the video. Plus you get the bonus of being able to slow the 50i footage down to half speed and it would still be full framerate.

If the deinterlace trick works with the camera you could get 100fps! OMG I would cream myself at the prospect of such gorgeous slowmo as that! 4x slowmo at full frame rate on a DVD! wowzers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast