Thread: What to get in a computer

Default What to get in a computer

Hi Team,

I am looking at getting a PC to do alot of video editing etc, this is what I have been recommended

1.00 ASI Custom Build System UNIT
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P Motherboard
    ASI 6AR6 Black ATX Mid Tower Case
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHZ 12MB Cache
    2 x DDR-II 2Gb Modules (4GB in Total)
    Multimedia Internal Card reader
    4 x Seagate 500Gb SATA Hard Disk Drives in RAID 0+1 for a total of 1TB of Fast Redundant Space
    2 x DVD-/+ RW SATA 20X Black
    Gigabyte PCI-E 8600GT 512Mb Video Card
    OEM Windows Vista Buiness +DVD
    SilverStone 650W Power Supply ST65Z
    5.1 Channel Onboard Sound
    Leadtek Winfast DTV1800H Analogue/Digital TV Tuner
    Samsung 22" HDLCD Monitor 2253BW

Any recommendations would be appreciated before I take the plunge. I will be using Premeire Pro CS3 and a few other editing programs

Thanks

Sounds like a great computer but why do you need 4 hard disks? Two hard disks are generally enough for most users. Does it have a Firewire socket? I haven't used Windows Vista Business but you would probably get away with using the cheapest version Vista Home Basic and save some money?

Red face

Hi Nikosony,

Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure if it has a firewire, I just assumed that they all did these days, I better double check, as that would be very dissappointing.

Apparently I need Vista Business if I want to network other computers later as Vista home does not have that function.

They have provided 4 harddrives because they are setting up some sort of redundancy, as with the config I have a total of 2TB but in actual fact I only have 1TB, I believe that if one hard drive goes down I will still be able to use the computer (75% capacity) and as it is constantly mirroring the work I do, so loss of footage etc will hopefully be redundant. I believe it is a real time back up. I am not sure whether they will be partitioned. They also said that an external hardrrive is not real time back up, although I like the idea that it is not connected full time.
    I sound neurotic, I think it is because I lost so much last time when my system just died that the thought of going through that again makes me over the top this time.

I see now where you are coming from and understand the need for you wanting to play safe with your files. Are you sure about Windows Vista Business and needing it to network other computers? I thought you could set up a LAN on every version of Vista either using cables or wireless? And definitely check that it has at least one working Firewire socket. I have a computer here that has two Firewire sockets and neither are connected to the motherboard, so I had to purchase a PCI Firewire card and install it myself.

I also agree with niko's networking comments, I think you are maybe being told porkies.

There is a difference between home and business when it comes to networking, as in xp (It's a bit of a bugger to access shares on xp home from xp pro, but the other way around is OK) but fundamentally, networking works in home.

Also that drive setup (RAID 0+1) will give improved performance as well as redundancy. Remember however that RAID will not protect you from human error. If you accidentally delete a directory you may be screwed (If you realise straight away and undelete you would probs be fine, but if it took a while to realise what you had done the data would probably be lost), so tape or optical backup may be an idea too.

Thank you team for your feed back, Vista home it is and firewire connection it will have - not just a pretend connection.
    and yes think twice before you delete - I have done that human error before.

Thanks again