Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to editing

Default new to editing

ive done some video editing in the past, i have a copy of adobe premiere CS3, and a good computer. Ive done some editing in the past, but dont remember much

Ill be asking some questions that I hope you guys can answer.

First of all, im fairly certain my video camera saves files as an MPEG, but files are comming up listed as "movie clip"
    how do i go about converting, i tried simply adding .mpeg or .wmv, no dice.
    and they wont import into premiere.
    thanks!

First what make is your camera ?
    Second how are you capturing your footage ?
    Third you don't just change the extension of a file you have to do some conversions so it works , there are some files that can be changed cause they work like a mask but that's another issue .
    Visit my portuguese blog :
    http://rdinis_video.blogs.sapo.pt

my camera is this:
    Amazon.com: Sony DCR-SR200 2.1MP 40GB Hard Disk Drive Handycam Camcorder with 10x Optical Zoom: Camera & Photo
    I used magic video converter to convert them to .avi's yesterday, and I imported, but they are not showing video, just audio

Quote Originally Posted by slyguy700 View Post
    ive done some video editing in the past, i have a copy of adobe premiere CS3, and a good computer. Ive done some editing in the past, but dont remember much

Ill be asking some questions that I hope you guys can answer.

First of all, im fairly certain my video camera saves files as an MPEG, but files are comming up listed as "movie clip"
    how do i go about converting, i tried simply adding .mpeg or .wmv, no dice.
    and they wont import into premiere.
    thanks!
    Sounds like windows is trying to be noob friendly and hiding the file extension, therefore, you can't change it. If it is say called "file.avi" and you just see "file", then changing that to "file.mpg" will probably just change the filename to "file.mpg.avi"

To fix this:

In a My Computer window:
    Tools->options
    Click View tab
    Untick "Hide extensions for known file types"
    Click Apply (NOT OK)
    Click the Apply to All Folders button at the top.
    Now click OK
    Last edited by evilc; 05-16-2008 at 07:41 AM.

thanks for that evilc
    Can anyone answer my audio only question?
    Its an avi, i can play it with VLC media player, but when I import it to premiere it just plays audio...

If it is an avi, download AVIC or abcAVI and find out what the "FOURCC" is (Will be four letters, eg DIVX). That should help us work out what might be going wrong.

And out of interest, what happens if you import it into windows movie maker? Do you see video?

Adobe premiere doesn't support divx, so you need a nother software to convert your video so premiere can accept it .
    Visit my portuguese blog :
    http://rdinis_video.blogs.sapo.pt

Quote Originally Posted by RDINIS View Post
    Adobe premiere doesn't support divx, so you need a nother software to convert your video so premiere can accept it .
    Where did you get this info from? This is completly untrue, I do it on a regular basis.

when i import the mpeg version to windows movie maker its just audio, when i try the avi it says this - "The file C:\Documents and Settings\********\My Documents\*******.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again."
    Last edited by slyguy700; 05-19-2008 at 04:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Lets take a step back here.

From the numerous posts we've had, the scenario (and correct me if I'm wrong here SlyGuy) is:

You are trying to import an AVI file of an unknown codec into Premiere. This was sourced from your camera (DCRSR200), which I understand saves as MPEG-2. I my opinion you've gone about this is exacytly the right way, but unfortunately you haven't re-encoded using an appropriate codec. The solution is easy. Download and install the panasonic DV code - Free-Codecs.com : Download Panasonic DV Codec : Play and import DV video with any tool. The Panasonic VFW DV codec works perfect with Virtualdub, then chose this as the option in your conversion software.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast