Thread: Currently available camera with A/V in

Default Currently available camera with A/V in

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a camera that is currently available in retail outlets or online in the UK that has AV input.

I'm trying to setup a capture system from a bullet camera on my motorcycle, so I don't really need major lens quality of features on the camera - just good battery life and the ability to record from a standard bullet cam (currently considering stuff from or Sport-Cam Helmet Cameras UK Based Fast Delivery Bullet Camera Lipstick Cameras Action Skiing Snowboarding Racing Ski Dogcam)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you don't have the bullet lens already, forget the AV/In solution and buy one of these:

SAMSUNG's Digital World - Miniket | VP-X300L

See for some sample raw footage ("Samsung VP-X300L Test") and a video made with footage from the camera ("LARD 13 - Miniket Madness")

I find it a much simpler and less bulky solution... No extra batteries, one wire with an inline start/stop and status light, records straight to DivX AVI on an SD card (immune to vibration!), and can exactly mimic PAL settings (720x576@25FPS, progressive or interlaced, 1.067 PAR) and a weatherproofed external lens with mic (Tested at 80MPH in the rain on the M4...)

Plus aren't most bullet cams only 480 line?

Also, get yourself a quikpod and mount the external lens on it at the back of the bike for a 3rd person (ie above and behind, like a videogame) shot!
    Last edited by evilc; 05-15-2008 at 12:42 PM.

I am doing likewise - mounting a bullet cam on my motorcycle helmet for a trip around France / Spain.
    I have already ordered the bullet cam (520 lines), and am looking for a decent (hopefully HDD) camcorder to plug the bullet cam into.
    Battery-life is also important for me, however I am open to any / all suggestions.
    Could you please name / recommend any recent model cam's that would be compatible with a bullet cam.
    Many thanks,

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

I would suggest an archos PVP. Records to a huge (100 gig) HD at dvd quality with a bat life of 4 hours I think.

And it's the coolest PVP by miles. The police are using them with helmet cams in Brsitol.

sensor to provide 420 TV lines of resolution, with a depth of field of 5 to 33 feet. This camcorder features automatic focus and white balance, and records in MPEG-4 format up to VGA (640 x 480 pixels) resolution, either in the NTSC system at 512 x 492, or in the PAL system at 500 x 582
    The Archos system appears to be a wierd res. 500x582? WTF is that? I guess it must have a wierd PAR which makes that res 4:3 - euch. The PAL X300L is 720x576, interlaced or progressive, with a PAR of 1.067
    The archos system would also work out at about twice the price of the X300L.
    Furthermore, I am not sold on hard disk for all applications, I am quite surprised the police did not go for a completely solid state system, I guess the samsung, which doesn't currently support SDHC, couldn't record for long enough on a single card. With 32GB SDHC cards on the horizon, I guess that will change with the next incarnation of the samsung. SD card seems like a much better idea for high vibration environments IMHO.

Interestingly, from the pictures on this page the connector on the archos seems to be identical to that on the samsung. I would love to try to swap the lenses around and see what happens. I have a sneaky suspicion that the samsung CCD may only be 480 or 520 line or something but with a resize done on the fly. If that were the case then I think using an archos lens may be better, as I am not sure the samsung one is a good a quality as the archos - it has issues with sudden exposure to light that I am not sure the superHAD CCDs suffer from.
    Last edited by evilc; 05-28-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Hmm... you have a point there... every portable device I have ever owned with a HD in has broken.

Ipod - drive started doind weird things.
    Version 1 archos - drive broke.
    SH caddy drive - bust.

Now I think about it i wouldnt reccomend anything portable with a HD. I am thinking about a teeny lap top at present and will be going for solid state for sure.