Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing video into Adobe Premier Pro CS3

Default Importing video into Adobe Premier Pro CS3

Hi All, I have been going through a number of various options that I have come across on this forum and so far I am having no luck. I have been trialling the above software and although I do not know all the technical jargon, I have completed a number of successful projects with photos. However after 3 weeks I have still been unable to download a home video created with a VOB file into my project I now have a number of conversion softwares and they can give me video but not sound the only way I can remove a video is to use AVS Video converter to uncompressed Audio PCM but converting a file of 3 hours calculates to almost 80 GB on the PC and the quality is average. Any ideas, what am I doing wrong! Maybe this is not the program for me although by all accounts it appears to be highly recommended

What is it that you want ? import a vob file into cs3 ? It is possible but not always, here it goes :

Grab your vob file and rename it to mpg and then import it into adobe premiere if it works then ok if it doesn't then you have to use another software to make you the conversion .
    I have done this and it worked just fine but i have heard by very experient guys in premiere that it doesn't always work .
    Visit my portuguese blog :
    http://rdinis_video.blogs.sapo.pt

Hi RDINIS,
    Thanks for your response, I have tried to rename files without success, as you mentioned the same thing as I have heard before I googled and receive this information if any one else is interested, who is having the same problems

Rename VOB to MPEG or MPG
    it did allow me to change the file but I still was unable to but with Intertech DVD Converter Pro and YASA DVD Ripper Platinum I am getting 'unsupported audio format' and with AVS Video converter I get 'unsupported video format or damaged file' if I set AVS to the uncompressed it works but 3 hours using 80 Gb that seems alot. Is there any converter you can recommend ? With only 5 days left on the trial I am getting frustrusted - I have searched the adobe site and so far no luck with a solution - please help.

Ok, there's always a solution, let's try this but remember this is not the right solution just a trick to take you out of the hook .
    Import your footage into adobe premiere and forget about the sound, now get yourself soundforge or adobe audition or any other you like and import video into there it will reconize the sound for sure and then export the a sound file as wav or mp3 and import it to premiere and add it to the timeline where you have the footage and that's it .

There is always a way so it's normally that someone has a different idea to achieve the same .
    Visit my portuguese blog :
    http://rdinis_video.blogs.sapo.pt

Renaming vobs to mpg works for me with cs3 no problem.
    Maybe it is corrupted in some way.

Try this:
    Use burning software such as nero to burn the VOB to dvd as a video disc not a data disc

This will maybe fix or conform the file

then copy the vob from the dvd, rename to .mpg and try that

worth a shot IMHO.

Hi EVILC and RDINIS,

Thanks for your help, I have gone through your options and even though I have unistalled, reinstalled and updated Adobe Premeire pro CS3 it still comes up with errors. However, upon my various challenges I notice in Bridge CS3 I can see all the files Mpeg, AVI, MPG etc play them, view them and hear them without any issues so I think there is an issue with this trial Premiere Pro version - or something else for them to be causing me so many headaches. As if I can see and hear them in bridge I should be able to import them to Pro

I will log onto adobe and send through a fault and see if they come back to me with anything.

Thanks again, your comments and resolutions have been excellent

Seems very strange, did you say that you could open some VOBs OK in premiere? What happens if you get a video DVD (ie a commercial film you bought) and drag a VOB off that? Can you pull that into premiere?

Where did this VOB come from? A DVD? Could the problem maybe be something to do with CSS encryption?

I would say ask on the doom9 forums maybe? However you have to wait 5 days after signing up to post.

Well I cannot open any VOBs in Premier including not anyother formats either for that matter. the VOB came from home movies transfered from video to dvd then onto the hard drive. I can rename them and watch them through window media. Yes it could be something to do with the CSS encryption - of course I don't know what it really is but understand what it must do. I will search through the doom9 forum as you suggested If I am the only person having this problem then it must be the communication between the two products associated with my computer, I not long had it rebuilt however, I feel I may have to strip it and start from scratch, as I have done so much to it lately to try and solve this problem I am sure I have created others

Thanks again will let you know if I get this one resolved

Beyond Pictures Blog: VOB Files and Adobe Premiere - Editing from DVD has two methods to work around this issue - rerendering in virtualdub or frameserving to Premiere from AVISynth.

I would strongly recommend you learn how to use VDub and AVISynth, they are incredibly powerful and free tools.

Also see VirtualDub-MPEG2 for an mpeg2 version of virtualdub which may help.

Hi Evilc
    Thank you once again, I went to the blog it was very helpful to know that this appears to be a common issue. Unfortunately, some of his links were no longer there. I have also been told that I should have had encore as well to complete the link (something like that) It is alot of jibberish to me at the moment, so I will focus on understanding some of the files and formats. I am taking your advise and will be going back to the books and learn a more about VDub and AVISynth
    Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast