Thread: Having problems finding good software

Default Having problems finding good software

The converts a uncompressed 720p AVI video "File Size: 18GB" recorded from a Blackmagic Intensity Pro to WMV 720p or any other good file format.

Note:
    If possible can some people give me a list of video editing programs, which can open 720p uncompressed AVI and then allow me to just save it to another HD 720P video format like WMV 720p.

I would recommend virtualdub and divx

If you use the regular version of divx rather than divx pro it will be a free solution too.
    I see no reason why Premiere pro would not be able to open the file and save it as WMV. I think there is a free 30 day trial, so you could probably do that.

From my experience though, divx rendering for example is bad in PPro. I frameserve to virtualdub to render my premiere movies to divx, so I would just forget an NLE and do it in vdub.

That all depends on what you want to do with the compressed version, put it on the net? If so, again divx is the clear winner IMHO - upload it to a site such as Host Media, A stage6 replacement, which is like the old stage6 - it does not mess with the video file at all and lets people download the source divx.
    Last edited by evilc; 05-14-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evilc View Post
    I would recommend virtualdub and divx

If you use the regular version of divx rather than divx pro it will be a free solution too.
    I see no reason why Premiere pro would not be able to open the file and save it as WMV. I think there is a free 30 day trial, so you could probably do that.

From my experience though, divx rendering for example is bad in PPro. I frameserve to virtualdub to render my premiere movies to divx, so I would just forget an NLE and do it in vdub.

That all depends on what you want to do with the compressed version, put it on the net? If so, again divx is the clear winner IMHO - upload it to a site such as Host Media, A stage6 replacement, which is like the old stage6 - it does not mess with the video file at all and lets people download the source divx.
    I have tried Premiere Pro CS3 and when I import the video nothing is showing in the video preview window. Anyway I am about to try Vdub also thanks for the help.

Note: I will report back in a bit.

----

Update

I have now tried Vdub and I got this message:

More info about the file:

*Recorded from 60hz (Seen as 60 frames per second in editing software)
    *The video feed I recorded was done over component.
    *The AVI file I am trying to convert is a HDYC version of AVI.

Did you try DivX Converter? Yes and I got this message:

DivX Converter cannot encode the input file:

C:\Users\Jamie\Videos\AVForums\Capture0.avi because it contains an invalid video stream.
    Last edited by TVR_Fan; 05-14-2008 at 05:47 PM.

I've never had a file exactly as you describe your source file but I have never found a file that mdeiacoder would not transcode to most any other file type I needed.

Mediacoder is a free download even recommended by kim komando at her website.

There is no instruction guide per se but it is relatively intuitive and there are forums and discussion groups online. just do a google for media coder downloads.

There are also free trial versions of Pinnacle and Adobe and ULead editing software. I have three versions of ULead Video Studio and all three open most avi type files and can render them as many different file types.
    goodluck

Ok, so that is telling you that you need an HDYC codec with Video For Windows capablity.
    Typically if you buy a bit of hardware that uses a codec, you will get a disk with the codec on. Do you have such a disk?

Looking at FOURCC.org - Video Codecs, it seems HDYC may be identical to UYVY, try using avic to change the fourcc to UYVY and see if that fixes it.

Also, I found this. This may be the codec you are looking for.

Oh, and does it open in windows movie maker? That uses the other one ("Desktop"? "Directshow"?) and sometimes works when the decent tools wont...
    Last edited by evilc; 05-14-2008 at 07:06 PM.

I try all your tips in the morning, also thanks again guys.

lucasin Guest

Default RE: Having problems finding good software!!!

Yes! Nice information that you have shared with us.

Thank you very much!

I would also like to add that divx is really easy to host on your own site with no special software or config needed server-side.
    see http://www.evilc.com/files/movies/list.html for an example (Crappy page design tho!)

You can host many forms of video with vPIP too, which is also demonstrated on my site (old version though).

See at the bottom of the page for a howto link.
    Last edited by evilc; 05-15-2008 at 06:23 PM.