Thread: Combining video with a static background

Default Combining video with a static background

Hello all! I'm very new to the whole video editing thing. I have adobe premiere pro and after affects CS3. I'm looking to shoot a film with a static background, with many different takes. I want to combine all these takes together into one clip. Is this possible? Sorry if this has been asked before as any searches I've done about combining video clips has come up dry. Thanks for any help!

Yes it is, if you want to use a static background all the time then you have to use a "green screen" . I mean a greeb background so you can replace it by what you want later on .

static background

Quote Originally Posted by Paulyo90 View Post
    Hello all! I'm very new to the whole video editing thing. I have adobe premiere pro and after affects CS3. I'm looking to shoot a film with a static background, with many different takes. I want to combine all these takes together into one clip. Is this possible? Sorry if this has been asked before as any searches I've done about combining video clips has come up dry. Thanks for any help!
    you could do this. It will be a job for Aftre Effects and will be a complete pain in the butt frankly. you shoudl green or blue screen the video elements first and this will mnake things a lot easier.

The p[roblem with just shooting multiple takes against the same static background are twofold. if the elements overlap at all then you will need to rotoscope makss around the items. But the biggest problem you will have is that I will bet you wahtever you like that the static 'same' background will not actually stay the same at all unless it was filmed under very strict studio conditions - and, well frankly, if you know to do that then you wouldn't be here asking this question. The lighting between takes will change because of the movement of clouds. Trees will sway in the breeze etc etc.

So film your footage under green or blue screen, key the elements out and then simply place them on whatever background you really want. Anything else will be totally nasty to try and do and what's more, it won;t look as good.

Ah, thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do about that then.

Thanks again, I'll be updating if anything else arises..