Thread: WMV support in Sony Vegas Movie Studio?

Default WMV support in Sony Vegas Movie Studio?

Hi can anyone tell me if there is a way to enable .wmv support in Sony Vegas Movie Studio? I can edit most file types - but apparently not .WMV.

I can export as .WMV, but if I try to edit an existing .WMV video, it simply says 'format not supported.'

I doubt it that's way its a cut down version, Convert the WMV to AVI with Super C that might help

Blog Entries

I have a copy of Movie Studio Platinum v6 on my system. Just tried editing a wmv (produced from Vegas Pro 8 as it happens) and it works just fine.
    Tim

I don't understand why you're having this problem. I am running Movie Studio 8 and it accepts .wmv as source and also renders .wmv files (and has many preset rendering settings). In fct, wmv is my preffered choice for rendering files to be viewed on my WinXP rig. They compress to the smallest size (compared to mpg-1, -2, and -4) and produce better looking output. I also use wmv as source files. I have no video cam and the files I get come from a program called Fraps which captures to AVI whose file size is freakin' huge! I convert these either mpg1 or wmv, depending on how much disk space I want to save, before using them as source in genuine project.

Which version of Movie Studio are you using? Have you tried reinstalling Movie Studio to ensure that the installation is complete? Where did these WMV source files come from? Perhaps they incorporate some file protection scheme. Movie Studio 8 works fine with wmv as souce, but my source wmv come from converting AVI files generated by Fraps.
    Last edited by Lengo; 08-11-2008 at 05:12 PM.