Thread: Merging pieces of 2 videos into one

Question Merging pieces of 2 videos into one

Ok, I've been testing various programs and reading up on them and so on and I just can't find anything that does what I need. There must be something out there that can do it because it should be at least somewhat common. So I'm hoping someone here knows of a specific program that does what I need...

Basically, I have 2 videos I made from 2 different DV camcorders placed in different locations in a room. I don't need or want to see everything twice, so keeping them separate or merging them completely doesn't make sense. What I want is to merge pieces from them into a single video. I want to make sure you understand what I need, so please read this example before posting any suggestions...

Example (Both videos have the same data, but from different angles):
    I want the first 10 seconds from video 1, then the 25 seconds from video 2 that follows the first 10 seconds (so from 10s to 35s), then 5 seconds from video 1 (this would be from 35s to 40s). This continues down from start to finish. As you can see, I am taking pieces from each without overlapping... I don't want to see the same thing multiple times... I just want the best angle from each part of each video so I have a single video with only the best angles from the two original videos.

Ok, so now you know what I want to do... here's the problem I have and why I can't find software to do what I need. In order for me to know what video has the best angle/view in each part of the video, I need to actually see them. Most editing software (all that I've found) lets you preview one video and then you can split out what you want onto a storyboard. You could then go and preview another video separately and do the same thing. Because I need to compare the two videos, this doesn't help. I need to be able to preview *both* videos at the same time.

Basically, I need to have 2 preview storyboard timelines to work with that I can sync together so that when I hit play (or scroll or whatever) on the previews, they move together. This will let me decide which one I want to pull the video out of to place onto a single output storyboard timeline... preferably with highlight and drag/drop, though I'll take just about anything if I have the dual input preview option. It's that option that I can't find anywhere. There *must* be software out there that does this. It can't be that unusual of a need.

Ok... so I need software with 2 preview timelines that can sync/lock together and 1 output timeline (more than that is fine, of course). I don't really need much else in the software, but it would be nice if it had some nice features for improving the quality of the output video (effects, transitions, etc). I'm not sure what I'd want to actually use, if any, but having them available doesn't hurt. I will be running this in Vista on a fast computer with plenty of memory, so only the OS is a requirement that needs considered. The input videos will be in uncompressed?? AVI format (the format I get when copying from DV to the computer with firewire). In the end, I'll want to burn it to a DVD in a format to play on all DVD players, but it's fine if the output is the same as the input so that I could optionally play around with it in another program afterwards if the suggested program doesn't offer much for features other than what I need.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm out of ideas. And I don't have a Mac, so can't use any software that is Mac-only. I do understand that Macs are the main video editing platform, but I don't have a choice.

Adobe premiere, sony Vegas and so on .
    I rather adobe premiere . And please read tutorials about that, you'll how easy it is to match scenes from different angles .

Visit my portuguese blog :
    VĂ*deo Digital

Ok, I'll see if I can find a demo/trial of those and see if they are what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Both of them have a 30 day trial .

Visit my portuguese blog :
    VĂ*deo Digital

Well, I've tried Adobe Premier without any luck. It still only seems to allow you to view one input video at a time. I can add more than one, but I can only view one at a time rather than both of them side by side or above one another. Maybe I just can't find where to set that up, but I've been through the help file and can't see anything about it. It does allow 2 video displays, but they seem to be one for input, one for output, and they cannot play at the same time. I did look into the multicamera thing, but I can't seem to make it do what I want. That may be how it works, but I can't figure it out and the help file doesn't really explain well.

I'll try Sony's and see if that has what I need. If you know how to make Adobe's work the way that I need it to, please let me know.

EDIT: Ok, I figured out how to do it finally with Adobe and also tried Sony. Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, neither is as easy to work with as I'd like, but they at least do the job.
    Last edited by Riamus; 05-09-2008 at 06:05 PM.

I'm glad you found it .

Good luck

lucasin Guest

Default RE: Merging pieces of 2 videos into one!!!

Hi, I certainly agree with you. Your advice is really very helpful for us.

Thanks a lot!

You need to do this:

Pull footage from both cameras, you will have two clips
    Line em up one above the other (not sure if elements does this, but any "proper" video editing app will - look for "NLE" - Non Linear Editor - A linear one is only one timeline)

Now you need to sync them. You need either a visual or an audio cue for this (Flash of light, clap or something) that is in *both angles*

Slide the clips left and right until this cue is in the same place for both clips (as in above each over) HINT: in adobe, select a clip and ALT+arrows to slide a clip left or right by a frame. In older versions of premiere, you could right click a clip and "Add clip marker" to put a marker on the clip - put one on each angle where the sync cue is and visually line em up. Dunno how to do it in Premiere CS3 tho :(

They are now in synch - you can use the cut tool to cut sections out of the top angle so the bottom angle shows through. If you want to view the bottom one, to the left of the tracks in premiere is an eye icon. Click that to show or hide a track revealing the one underneath.

Once you have cut holes in the top one in all the places you want the bottom one to show up, you are done, render out!
    Last edited by evilc; 05-15-2008 at 07:50 PM.

There's a name for what you want to do,it's called "multicamera editing" and vegas does it very well.