Thread: Burn Speed ?

1. Default Burn Speed ?

I have been using Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8x Full-Face Printable blank media without problems. I always save my project as a disc image and burn through disk utility at 2x.
    I have just purchased the new Taiyo Yuden Watershield F-F Printable 16x DVD-R but the slowest I can burn these is 4x.
    I am worried about compatibility issues is the difference between burning at 2x and 4x that critical?

Sidcup, Kent

I have used those same discs and burnt them at 16x and had no problems with them and they had a decent amount of use since burning, over a year now and still going strong with no playback issues. I can't see a problem with having to burn them at 4x.

As a sidenote these are by far the best printed finish I've seen any printable disc I've used, they are simply amazing.

3. Default

Thanks for that my burners are OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A (Sony)
    As a result of your reply I contacted Apple who informed me that these burners perform best at 8x for burning DVDs and lower speeds for CDs.
    I am confused because all the advice I have had in the past was to burn DVDs as slow as possible to avoid compatibility problems?

N. florida

One good place to inquire is a video and audio production business in your area.

About two years ago a band I was in back in the 60s reunited and the sound was professionally and digitally captured with 44 separate tracks.

We took this raw audio to a professional studio for mixing and, of course, they used a Mac and ProTools for the software.

The first rough CDs they burned out to demo to the guys was done at a very slow speed and I asked why it was taking so long when CDs I burned at home took a couple of minutes and they explained that slower write speeds using lasers results in a better and more accurate burn whether audio or video with much fewer defects so their professional burners for both audio and video dubs cycle slowly.

So while I can't hear much of anything wrong with what I burn at home I yield to the pros and offer what they said in answer here.