Thread: Backwards: How to convert video to sequence of still images?

Default Backwards: How to convert video to sequence of still images?

I am looking at creating some special animated effects which require me to convert a video file to a sequence of still images (presumably JPEGs but it doesn't really matter).

I know to convert them back (which I will have to do) has been covered in these forums and most NLEs do it, but can anyone tell me which software I can use to create the individual frame by frame stills?

Thanks

Here goes the hard way take a snapshot with NLE software every second, the easy way i dunno hope someone help you out .

Visit my portuguese blog :
    V*deo Digital

Yeah, I'd thought of that but because I want every frame of a 5 minute movie, I'm hoping there's an easy way.

Please help people!

I think it was done for A Scanner Darkly.... Keanu Reeves can you help me?

You can try Watermark Master, for example.

It soft support grabber functions, you can grab all frames from you video files.

Well, this is very old and probably not useful to you, but if someone else finds this thread, as I did, through a Google search (unfortunately this wasn't the question I was trying to answer), it may be nice to know that VirtualDub has File>export>Image Sequence which does exactly that in a super easy way.

It only supports AVI files natively, but there are plugins to make it open mpeg-2 and several other file types, plus a program like AVIsynth can frameserve practically anything to it, to be converted to an image sequence. My problem is, those methods, particularly DirectShowSource in avisynth, do not provide frame-accurate seeking to the original video file, so it's easiest to convert the whole thing to an image sequence and edit that. I just wish I had a way to edit a sequence of images easily (right now I do it by opening the sequence in VDub, then exporting my edits as a new sequence of images, but then I have to go back and manually delete the originals, and I think it's recompressing them into JPG each time--uncompressed images would be WAY too huge since we're talking ~100 GB compressed.)

What NLE are you using? I use Premiere Pro and the export has an option to export to a series of stills of various formats instead of a tradition video format. Sure makes that job easier.

I'm assuming that question's for me since I'm the only person who posted to this thread in the past 18 months :P .. I'm using VirtualDub, a very basic editor which seems to be quite popular in the open-source community and fit my $0 budget perfectly. It's primarily meant to edit AVI files, since that's what the author wanted a program for, but over time has gotten various additional features, including the ability to export a series of stills, probably in a similar manner to Premiere.

VirtualDub can only use VFW codecs, so when I'm trying to edit something that I only have a DS codec for, I frameserve with AVISynth. This is crazy slow, and has poor random-access ability (if you cut and paste a section, for example, the resulting playback will be different every time, so you can't predict what it will end up saving when you're done--sometimes it even wigs out the pre-caching, and plays the same frames in a loop for a while). Therefore, to actually edit it, I export to a series of images.

The problem I have with doing that is that manipulating those files is a somewhat cumbersome process. VirtualDub can open a series of files, and you can edit the entire sequence as if it were any other movie format, but it does not treat the individual frames as files, so when you're done, you have to "export the movie" all over again, as opposed to the simpler process of deleting any files you "cut out" and renaming the others with their new frame positions (as well as copying any files whose frames you duplicated), so each new edit is a completely new set of images, and I think, though I don't know this part, that it's recompressing each image each time, theoretically degrading visual fidelity. In every other way, though, it's great, somehow it's able to load 200,000 image files and change from one to the next in no time flat, with a nice scrollbar at the bottom to track position. Image viewers, like irfanview, can treat them as individual files, of course, but load each frame SO SLOWLY, and without random access, that it's basically no use trying to perform similar tasks. Windows Explorer works ok for really simple tasks, like deleting a leading or trailing chunk, but since autosort can't be turned off in Win7, is no good for even the most basic rearranging type tasks.

Hello everyone, do you want to create video from image? Then you should use ambivo. I would like to suggest to visit this site convert images to video. It is easy to use . It allows us to manage our images and documents to create videos. We can easily send to our friends and can share to social site like facebook, twitter, google etc. For more information please visit the site given above.
    Last edited by hhk; 06-14-2013 at 11:23 AM.

I'll wait for a spare moment to try that link, but OP's issue was the other-way and that seems to have been sorted way back 4yrs ago .
    - Can you say what special feature this software has? over say Sony Movie Studio which will import a whole folder-full of stills and treat them as a movie - after Rendering the individual frames are normal movie file-size max. Also, SMS has the distinct advantage that it's designed for making movies.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 06-15-2013 at 01:37 PM.