Thread: How to maintain widescreen when capturing to Adobe Premiere

Default How to maintain widescreen when capturing to Adobe Premiere

Ive shot in widescreen, and but when I export into PAL 4:3, the picture zooms in to fill the whole screen. I dont want that i want the whole picture seen with the black bars on top and bottom.

Is there a setting that stops this from doing that, so it automatically comes up in widescreen??? (because i dont want to have to resize the picture manually)

I can't say for sure, as I've never tried to capture in WS to begin with . When you open a new project, it gives you a choice of 4:3 or the widescreen one (whatever numbers correspond with that). Have you 'told' premiere to use widescreen settings when starting a project ?

No because if i do that then i defineatly wont get the widescreen black bars, if do it in 4:3 then i will, but it zooms in chopping of the right and left edges of the picture

You did it all wrong, choose a widescreen project if your footage is widescreen and then do your stuff and in the end export your footage or just watch it directly using any player and you will get those black bars, maybe you won't see them inside of adobe premiere i can't remember now and i'm not at home to check it but you definely will get those whrn watching in your player or tv .

Visit my portuguese blog :
    VĂ*deo Digital

5. Default downconvert setting should be in your camera

If for some reason you want your widescreen footage exported to 4:3 (eg. sometimes festivals require 4:3), I think your options are with the camera, not PP. When capturing footage, with my camera anyway, I can choose to downconvert during capture through either squeeze, edge crop or vertical bars. I don't think you can choose through PP - once you've chosen 4:3, it just accepts whatever you've set up via the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by TMO View Post
    Ive shot in widescreen, and but when I export into PAL 4:3, the picture zooms in to fill the whole screen. I dont want that i want the whole picture seen with the black bars on top and bottom.

Is there a setting that stops this from doing that, so it automatically comes up in widescreen??? (because i dont want to have to resize the picture manually)
    Respectfully, there is NO good reason to want to do this. It sounds like you are trying to 'fix' a playback issue in the editting which you just do not need to do.

Listen to RDINIS. He's got it right. if you shoot widescreen then edit widescreen. Always!!! Cutr a widescreen DVD and if you want to watch it on a 4:3 tv then just change the settings to 'letterbox mode' on your DVD player. Anythign else is losing quality before you even burn your DVD and will look a lot worse for anyone viewing it with a widescreen TV.