Thread: Can I transfer MiniDV direct to PC?

Default Can I transfer MiniDV direct to PC?

I have a 5 year old JVC GR-DVP7 with lots of tapes that need to be put onto decent viewing media (ideally DVD).

Manual says that i can put onto video tapes but i am hoping that i can now go straight to PC.

I am using a PC with Vista. JVC website shows no vista drivers for this camcorder but i am hoping there is something out there that i can use.

Camcorder has USB and DV connections.

My technical knowledge is definitely below average in this area, particularly re connectivity, but i can usually find my way around the PC and camcorder.

Can anyone help?

If your camcorder has a Firewire socket then you need a Firewire cable and a Firewire socket on your computer to connect them together. You don't need any driver software, Windows has all the necessary drivers built in. You can use Windows Movie Maker for the capture, but if you want to burn your finished movies onto DVD then look at something like Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 which is a one stop shop application (capture, edit and burn). You can download a 30 day trial of it and other software that is listed here on the forum and try it out and see if it's what you want before buying.

Thanks for that.

I think i have got firewire on the camcorder (if IEEE1394-1995 i.Link is firewire then it has). The PC certainly has according to the manual.

So i should be ok.

Thanks again

Nicsta

I have attached firewire cable but PC will not recognise device. If I use a USB cable device is recongised but asks for drivers; will not install them from install disk so cannot access the device. I used to use the USB cable on my previous PC for getting stills off the SD Card and this worked ok as the drivers could be installed. I don't have any other firewire enabled devices that i can use to test the cable/ports (it is a new cable and new PC)

Any thoughts

Nicsta

Look in the Device Manager and make sure IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers is listed. If it is, then you definitely have Firewire on your computer, if it isn't listed then you haven't got it. If it is listed and still not working then the problem lies somewhere else, either with the cable or the Firewire socket on your camcorder?