Thread: Video Capture?

Default Video Capture?

I want to capture video segments from DVDs. I can find nothing about this except ripping a DVD and I don't need to do that. All I need is short clips about 2-3 seconds long, perhaps not even that long.

I've tried one approach that's explained on the Net. That is, use the VLC media player and capture with Fraps. However, the DVD's image is 16:9 and the resulting capture is 3:2. Go figger. A circle at 16:9 becomes an oval in the vertical direction at 3:2. Frame captures are the wrong aspect too, but at least I can fix these in Photoshop by redimensioning the, but I cannot redimension a video in Sony Movie Studio Platinum 8.

How do I do this? I just want to capture a few seconds of video, and can't find a way.

Have you try'd to OPEN the DVD on my computer and draging the files into the program? I know you could do it with Sony Vegas Pro 8.

Well, that's easy to do but not legal if you're going to use it in your movies or something like it .
    Anyway here it goes . If you use adobe premiere and if not i think you can do the same with any other software .
    Just copy the vob files into your computer if you cannot copy them then use shrink(free software) and after rename your vob files to mpeg and edit it with your editing software and trim the parts you want .

Quote Originally Posted by RDINIS View Post
    Just copy the vob files into your computer if you cannot copy them then use shrink(free software) and after rename your vob files to mpeg and edit it with your editing software and trim the parts you want .
    I tried that but was unaware of this Shrink program. Only one of the vob files displayed any video (all were black but this one), then the audio was extremely low pictched. And of course these take up much too much disk space just to grab a second or two of clip.

I'll try something I found called Camstudio. I dunno if that will work 'cause I think movies are shown in a directX video mode.

Are the dvds commercially distributed programs like movies?

If so they are encrypted to prevent copying - even short scenes as you describe.

"Ripping" for many refers to transcoding the dvd format vob files to the original mpeg2 format of standard definition video.

If the dvds are NOT protected then some consumer video editing programs will recognize and support dvd .vob files - ULead Video Studio does this.

Aspect ratio shouldn't be affected by ripping or by decrypting out the copy protection.

As info, management of this particular forum doesn't allow sharing information on copy protection decrypting alternatives - others are more open - google usually gets one there.

As information, the reference to "shrink" is about an old and free utility that both decrypts commercial dvds and then compresses the program, usually a movie, down from its' original dual layer 8plus Gig size to something less than 4.5Gig so it will burn to a single layer 4.7Gig blank disc.
    good luck with the edited program you want to create

I've found a way to do this. There's a free program called Camstudio that will do this. The results are less than spectacular, but they are sufficient. In fact, the low quality is just right. I'm wanting 'campy', so grainy low quality is perfect.

Now I need a midi sequencer. Oh man! What a pain! In order to do this, you need a sound card with a midi port and soundfonts. I still need a camcorder too! Anybody got $300? Sheesh! This is getting way too expensive. The camcorder is a Canon ZR800 ($150), the midi sequencer is $80, and the soundfonts are $80. But wait! Act now and you'll also need a film crew -- a lighting director, a sound man, actors, and a producer to get props. And don't forget the minivan! You'll need a minivan at the least to carry all this equipment and the people around.

So call now and have your credit card ready. Operators are standing by to take your call!

I shoulda stood in bed.