Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone else having difficulty finding first client?

Default anyone else having difficulty finding first client?

I am. Its a matter of knowing someone who is about to get married...I never get invited to weddings.

I tried a website and got not one reply. I'm redesigning my site now.

Anyone in the SouthWest UK wanna team up for awhile? Maybe to learn from each other, help out on shoots and then refer clients to one another when things take off?

What have you done in the way of promoting yourself? Do you have a demo dvd that you can show potential clients, what is your website like? Can you post a link to it so we can have a look and maybe offer some advice? You may need to shoot one or two weddings or events for free first to get some material and practice, if you can hook up with a person/company in your locality and act as second camera all the better. What is the market in your area like for wedding videography? Is every Joe Blow with a camcorder doing them?

Quote Originally Posted by WelshSpielbergFan View Post
    I am. Its a matter of knowing someone who is about to get married...I never get invited to weddings.

I tried a website and got not one reply. I'm redesigning my site now.

Anyone in the SouthWest UK wanna team up for awhile? Maybe to learn from each other, help out on shoots and then refer clients to one another when things take off?
    I feel for you...I have only just completed a video production course and already have my first client. Luckily, I have contacts with photographers...one who has recommended me...this is the best way to work.

Yes, I'm in the same boat too! I've put advert in paper, done a website and put flyers in churches. I just need one wedding.

5. Talking

does your email provider have a free web hosting service? if so use that then, alternatively why not put something on ebay....! i do and my web site stats tell me i have around 10 hits per day.

we started filming free weddings two years ago, we did about four of them in all and we gained so much experience. now wae are charging but the learning curve is steep (but not as steep as learning how to use final cut express & our new imac 24" intel dual core....)

Have you done any wedding related work?

This may sound harsh but think of things from a clients perspective, they would want to see proof that you can cover the day and produce a DVD that will capture the day and reflect the personalities of the bride and groom.

If you cant assure a client of the above then it will be very hard to win their confidence, in my experience clients are not looking for a free video they want a GOOD video its probably the most expensive party they will ever have and the cost of a good video is very small in comparison to every thing else they will have to budget for, and looking back a video and some pictures will all they will have to show for the expense of a wedding.

Do you know anybody that is doing wedding work at the moment, if so get on board with them and help them out that way you can quickly build your skill set, and perhaps more importantly for you this will give you something to build a show reel or demo DVD.

I gain my booking via referal and the web, do you have a web site? if so try adwords by google this will bump you up the list of 1,000s of people offering the same service as you, it does cost but it will bring the web page hits I spend around 80.00 a month and this gets me enough hits to keep my diary full, bear in mind however that paying to get people on your site is one thing, will your site convince a client to entrust you with the job?

If your site does not convey the right message then paying for hits will be a waste of time.

Blog Entries

It sometimes looks to me that doing weddings is the video equivalent of having your drive tarred by door knockers.

I aim my comments at no one in particualr but if I was getting married I would want someone who IS expirienced and GOOD and SKILLED.

It worries me that we see many people on this site claiming to provide a professional service asking the most basic questions, posting very poor examples of woirk and charging knock down prices cos they have only had thier crap little cam corder for 2 weeks.

Weddings are NOT easy money. A decent wedding video needs many well honed skills, not least of all professionalism.

I have been at this art for 6 years now, I have a pro camera and tripod, 5 different mics from lav to s gun, I have made 200 or so films of various quality to learn the art and am only just now feeling I would be able to offer a professional service. Maybe I am a slow learner?

( actually I would nver do weddings, to amny creative restrictions for me, but I may be editing some for someone and just may be bullied into second camera stuff soon)
    Last edited by Mark W; 07-01-2008 at 11:22 AM.

8. Talking

there speaks a man of experience....! it is not easy to film a wedding as you are constantly thinking and anticipating what will happen next.

Start basic and build, put your profits back into new gear and when you talk to someone give them a business card, my first batch of 200 cards got me 15 weddings, the profits from these got me a new camera, better microphones, tripods and a new 25" apple imac.

Blog Entries

Thanks Mike - not expiriece of weddings !

I did one in a very haphazard way as a fav to my sis - I was aslo giving her away so it was all a bit chaotic, and the edit ended up as a bit of a satire on the whole day - if I did do weddings they would ell likely end up that way!

Hi, i am contemplating starting a wedding video business. My take on this is to try and find people about to get married, who couldn't afford a videographer, and offer a free (to start) and later a budget service to them. That way they will appreciate the DVD when it arrives, whether it is good or not as i feel confidence is an important issue here.
    I went to a relatives wedding in December and used the video facility on my digital camera. I burned it to a DVD on my laptop (4 DVD's for 1 from the pound shop), put it in a case (8 for 1, guess where from) and printed some stills on one sheet, cut it to size and fitted it in the case. I have had 20 orders from the family for copies so far.
    As for where to look for clients, approach a local hotel who do weddings. I got married in April and the hotel were so impressed by my DVD, they want me to leave them business cards and do their weddings and events for them. The events co ordinater there said they have few videographers at their weddings as no one will pay the 600 + price tag, so i'm sure a low quality/priced video would be more acceptable than none at all.
    I don't want to put a downer on my first post here, but i'm sure there is a place for a budget service, especially here up't north where price is more important than quality.
    I'm also interested in hooking up with other newbies on the net and locally.
    Phil

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast