Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pan/Crop problems setting window size

1. Default Pan/Crop problems setting window size

I'm trying to use the Pan/Crop effect to have a DVD cover swhirl out from a small size to a large one. However when I try and move the cover away from the centre of the screen using the X and Y co-ordinates it's as if the window the rotation and movement can be used in is square. The image disappears before the left hand and right hand edges as it gets larger.

I can't see any way of changing the left and right barriers for the event I'm trying to animate. I can post a link to video showing the problem if this isn't clear but basically the problem is one of how do I set the left and right edges for a still image that I want to expand to fill the frame size that's been set?

Ian

I do not know exactly what problem you are having, but go into your project properties and change the template to NTSC DV 720x480 . You might have it set to HD or widescreen where it would look letterboxed...

also make sure you have the box checked so you can move freely and lock aspect ratio if you want. If this does not help you post a link that shows the exact problem you are having

SS
    Remote File Is Too Large FTL!!!!

3. Default

I don't see why this would affect anything. The problem is not one of letter-boxing because the background is rendering fine. I don't have X or Y axes locked.

Look at this video and watch what happens as the rotating DVD cover grows larger. You can see this at around 19 seconds in and then again about 24 seconds in. Notice how as the longest side turns it appears to disappear as if there were an invisible curtain that it was spinning behind at the edges.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

My guess is that the rotating cover extends outside the viewable area of the track you're using for track motion. Can you post a veg (make that a much shorter version with only one example)?
    Tim

yes I see what you mean now, the edges would be cut off when tilted. The only thing I suggest is other than just pan/crop do track motion and tidy it up a bit where it fits in the viewable area. And this would only be in the images track. The conflict had nothing to do with the background in that video.

Is this happening to you much worse than this video shows? Because I really wouldnt have noticed if I didn't know what I was looking for.

So try to fiddle with track motion and tell us if it helps
    Remote File Is Too Large FTL!!!!

I've had a similar thing happen when placing a corporate logo over the top of an animaton (on a separate vid track). I used pan/crop to resize the logo and wanted to put it in the top corner of the screen but it kept cropping it (either at the top or side). Couldn't work out why it was happening so just had to move the logo away from the screen edge. Didn't have any movement/rotation on the logo either, it was just static.

7. Default

Thanks and would be happy to Tim. What's the best way to post my new "cut-down" .veg ?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by john3dartist View Post
    I've had a similar thing happen when placing a corporate logo over the top of an animaton (on a separate vid track). I used pan/crop to resize the logo and wanted to put it in the top corner of the screen but it kept cropping it (either at the top or side). Couldn't work out why it was happening so just had to move the logo away from the screen edge. Didn't have any movement/rotation on the logo either, it was just static.
    Yes, I should have said that the rotation was just something I added AFTER i discovered the basic problem. I've had the same problem in several different files with different images - just can't seem to drag the image outside a certain boxed area, as you've highlighted above.

In fact I don't think I've ever got this to work as required and I think it's a bug :( although I'm hoping and praying it's something stupid I'm doing that can be easily fixed.

Pan/Crop does just that. It Pans and it Crops. Now the end result may appear as if you are moving material around the screen, but you aren't, you/I/we are only, Panning and Cropping existing material. Once you get top the edge of the FRAME you loose what you have. As you have discovered. When you Pan over a photo - Left to Right - the photo "appears" to move from Right to Left. It isn't. All you are doing is panning your "virtual" a camera over the surface of the photo.

So, to move and relocate material use either:

1] Track Motion

.. or . .

2] Set up the logo, from within a graphics package that from outset has the logo in the bottom left hand quadrant.

Grazie

. . oh yes, I meant to add - this is NOT a bug. Pan/Crop does what it says.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast