Thread: After effects and premier?

Smile After effects and premier?

hi guys, I wanted to ask you a little question : what's the real difference between premier and after effecs? I know after effects it's made for special efects,motion graphics , visual effects and so on, but I can actually make a montage of any video in after effects ! I don't know almost anything about premier, I only now it's the basic for filming , a video editor. what can I do in premier that would change my mind spending all that money for the product with after effects?

thanx very much

cya

Premiere is a top notch NLE that works on a lot of levels with a steep learning curve. At its most basic it will allow you to capture video from a number of sources, edit it as much or as little as you want and then give you a lot of export options when done.

After Effects on the otherhand is specifically aimed at the creation of special effects, animation and motion graphic creation and isn't an NLE. You would bring it into your production pipeline after the initial edit was done of the video.

You can add effects using Premiere but it doesn't have the same amount of effects that AE has nor does it offer the same level of control over the effects. One thing that's always puzzled me is its name, After Effects, surely it should be called Before Effects (as you have to use the package to apply the effects), unless you've already used another effects package to add effects to your video.

Post Thx!

hey, thanks very much man! by the way I am not a film maker or so, I am a web designer/programmer that would like to transfer animations from after effects into flash videos , compatible with the web . so in my case I would not need premiere, basically I can animate anything and apply effects,filters or whatever with it, then just put everything in a flash file and I'm ready? But if I need for whatever reason a short film ( for example 3d achitecture...) I can create it in after effects ,using only the timeline? And in after effects can I put it on a DVD(or,if possible , Blue-Ray)?

thx again

bye!

For web design flash content, you may also want to look into a program called Adobe Flash, which may tend to your needs much more efficiently than After Effects. Adobe Flash is a piece of software designed specifically for people such as yourself, I gather, though I can't comment on your own individual needs.

In my (fairly limited) experience of After Effects (a superb program), it's not great for attempting to edit entire videos from start to finish. For a start, each version I've used of After Effects, will only render five seconds of the timeline at any given stage in the editing process. What that basically means is a lot of sitting around twiddling your thumbs, when you could be doing something more productive.

Now by no means am I an authority on this, but I would suggest checking out Adobe Flash first of all, as you seem pretty at ease with Adobe anyway. If that's not what you need, perhaps a combination of Premiere and After Effects, or even all three.

I would not ever use After Effects for a start to finish edit, as immense a piece of software as it is.

Well, best wishes.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by MediaMuppet View Post
    For web design flash content, you may also want to look into a program called Adobe Flash, which may tend to your needs much more efficiently than After Effects. Adobe Flash is a piece of software designed specifically for people such as yourself, I gather, though I can't comment on your own individual needs.

In my (fairly limited) experience of After Effects (a superb program), it's not great for attempting to edit entire videos from start to finish. For a start, each version I've used of After Effects, will only render five seconds of the timeline at any given stage in the editing process. What that basically means is a lot of sitting around twiddling your thumbs, when you could be doing something more productive.

Now by no means am I an authority on this, but I would suggest checking out Adobe Flash first of all, as you seem pretty at ease with Adobe anyway. If that's not what you need, perhaps a combination of Premiere and After Effects, or even all three.

I would not ever use After Effects for a start to finish edit, as immense a piece of software as it is.

Well, best wishes.

Billy
    thanks very much man! by the way I know flash, but I wantd to use after effects for more complicated effects and then import them to flash

thx very much btw!

cya!