Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video trimming software sugestions

Default video trimming software sugestions

All I want to do is cut the start and end off of my videos. I must have tried over a dozen different programs and either they didnt work or if they did the quality after export wasnt up too par.
    Considering that trimming is all that I want to do is there a program that doesnt require the finished video to be exported? If not what program would suit my needs with the best quality?
    Said videos are (mpeg). I dont know if they are 1 or 2. How I wrote it is how it appears under file type.
    I tried windows movie maker. I had to download a codec pack to get it to work and then the audio was out of sync. I tried womble and not only did 1 4gig dvd take almost 6 hours but the finished video had rainbow tiling and several places where the video froze or paused for a second or two even after much tweaking of the different options. I have tried many others all with similar quality issues, just looking for a program that works, hope you can help.

Thanks, Chad

Blog Entries

Where did the soutce footage come from?
    Download a freebie called "GSpot" and run that on the file. It will tell you/us much more detail about the type of file we're dealing with.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by baktun20 View Post
    I tried womble and not only did 1 4gig dvd take almost 6 hours but the finished video had rainbow tiling and several places where the video froze or paused for a second or two even after much tweaking of the different options.
    Yeah as Tim says - what's the source of your "source"? I know for a fact that Womble does smart rendering on MPEG2 footage (as do Vegas, VideoStudio and MSP from personal experience - and there are others). It usually takes more time to burn the DVD than encode it.

OK, I downloaded and ran gspot but I am not sure what information you need so I will list what I can and you will have to let me know if you need something else.

Under container it says: MPEG-2 Program Stream << { 1 vid, 1 aud }
    Sys Bitrate: 15000 kb/s VBR
    nothing under user data/metadata
    under audio: Codec - MPEG-1 Layer 2 CBR(highlighted)
    Info - 0xc0:48000Hz 192 kb/s tot , Stereo
    1 is highlighted Stat - Codec(s) Installed
    under video Codec - MPEG2 Name - MPEG-2 (MPG2 is highlighted)
    Status - Codec(s) are Installed
    FCC is highlighted
    below that I/L TFF and NTSC are highlighted
    under Resizing both 1 and 2 say None, already SVCD format

Again if there is anything else you need to know in order to help me with my problem just let me know, thanks.

p.s. is there any program that you can use to cut the start and end off of a clip and then take the clip out without haveing the program export it itself?

Quote Originally Posted by baktun20 View Post
    p.s. is there any program that you can use to cut the start and end off of a clip and then take the clip out without haveing the program export it itself?
    Yes. As mentioned in my previous post - "smart-rendering" is a common feature of a lot of apps these days. No re-encoding is done just a stream copy. My favourite program for this is Womble - which you've already tried. So the issue has to be either the files themselves (you still haven't told us what the source is) or your setup.

At the bottom of the GSpot screen is a section labelled "Proposed Codec Solutions and Tests".

There will be some buttons labelled "1" "2" and "3" (the last two types probably greyed out to start with). Concentrate on the ones below GSpot "Vid" & "Aud" rather than "MS A/V" for the moment. Click on the "1" button for both the Video and Audio (one at a time) and check for any errors. Often one of the "2" buttons will then become enabled. Click on those, note any errors then the "3" and so on. Then try the "MS A/V" buttons.

The reason this is a useful exercise even if you think you've got a working system is often errors are hidden - something will fail but an alternative codec installation will be tried instead and may well partially work.

Often codecs and filters don't uninstall correctly and leave entries in the registry that "indicate" to other software that they can be used in filter chains for playing back or editing audio and video when in fact they are broken. Registry cleaners don't always pick these things up either.

Under video 2 all listings read "Error: 0x80040154: Class not registered"
    Video 3 did not become highlighted

Under audio 2 the first 3 listings give the same error
    Under audio 2 the fourth listing reads "Error: 0x80040200: An invalid media type was specified."
    Under audio 2 the fifth listing is green and says "audio render ok use 3 to play"
    Under audio 2 the sixth listing reads "Error: 0x80040207: There is no common media type between these pins."

Audio 3 lists the same as audio 2

MS A/V says "Render OK. The following combination of filters was used:
    (Src)-->>--(A)-->[MPEG-2 Demultiplexer ]>--(B)-->[GPL MPEG-1/2 Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer ]
    (Src)-->>--(A)-->[MPEG-2 Demultiplexer ]>--(B)-->[AC3Filter ]>--(C)-->[Default DirectSound Device ]"

As for the source you keep mentioning I think this is what you are asking for: the files were .tivo files that I converted to mpeg. As for setup I am not sure that I know what you mean but I would have no problem giving more information if you would want to elaborate. I hope this information helps, thanks again Chad

Uuh . . . hello . . ?, I downloaded and ran the gspot program. I posted information from that program and then diligently retyped (it wont allow you to copy) more information that was requested (see previous posts) and now there are no responses.
    The program did give some error codes and not being familiar with gspot I dont know what they mean. I just dont know why all of a sudden all I get is silence. If you have given up or just dont have an answer that is fine but at least let me know this and I will search for answers elsewhere.

No, I 've not forgotten about you.... I didn't get an email wakeup call for your last but one post - did for the one above.

Ok - M/S renders ok - I'm guessing were you to play these files in Windows Media Player, they would play without problems. As I mentioined in my last post, there are often registry conflicts / setup errors that can cause playback or editing problems - "class not registered" messages are an indication of these.

GSpot can help identify these, even if it's not always the best program to sort them out. On the System menu is an item titled "List Codecs and other Filters". Click on that and look for items highlighted in red - these are the problem entries on your system. They will either need to be removed and replaced (with something else) or reinstalled and re-registered.

Ok, sorry if I seemed impatient but it was two days longer than previous responses took and my post was almost at the bottom of the page so I figured that I should chime in again.

Yes, the files play without any problems on windows media player.

Ok, there are three listed that are in red:

DSH MPEG1System MainConcept MPEG Splitter {881EF822-7C08-4B0E-BF7D-5568E2E0879} 0x00600002 ** File Missing: C:\Program Files\Common Files\MAGIX Shared\MPEG2 Decoder\magixspmpeg.ax

DSH MPEG1Packet MainConcept MPEG Audio Decoder {881EF832-7C08-4B0E-BF7D-5568E2E08789} 0x00600000 ** File Missing: C:\Program Files\Common Files\MAGIX Shared\MPEG2 Decoder\magixdsmpeg.ax

DSH MPEG1Packet MainConcept MPEG Video Decoder {881EF842-7C08-4B0E-BF7D-5568E2E08789} 0x00600000 ** File Missing: C:\Program Files\Common Files\MAGIX Shared\MPEG2 Decoder\magixdsmpeg.ax

I think the magix that it keeps refering to must be one of the programs that I tried and removed once it didnt work. Since it is listed as missing does that mean that I will have to reinstall said program? I did a search for magix and what came up did not look familiar but if you think that that is the problem I can try and download that program again.

Much appreciated, Chad

Possibly you've had Movie Edit Pro on your machine at one time or another. First thing to do is tidy up those registry entries, although it's curious that they are both DirectShow and named as MPEG1 filters.

The program that I use is called Filmerit from here:

Filmerit

It has a "one-click fix" mode documented on the website (there's a link to the right on the above webpage).

Try rendering out a small portion of one of the problematic files - I like Womble but you may have something else you're happier with - and see if it works.

If it doesn't, download and install ffdshow from here:

SourceForge.net: ffdshow

Try the render again.

One last thing. On looking back through your posts this morning, I have only just noticed that you said these are Tivo files converted to MPEG. What s/ware did you use to convert?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast