Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio and video not in synch

Default Audio and video not in synch

Hi there. I'm just beginning to get to grips with Adobe Premiere and Adobe Encore. Managed to put together what seemed like a nice little project in Premiere - four sequences, total around 15 minutes. Imported the resulting .avi files into Encore, did some stuff with buttons etc., then ran Preview. Sound and video were out of sync - sound ahead of video, and seeming to get worse nearer the end of the project. The original Premiere-output .avi files played fine in Windows Media Player, though, and I was also able to asemble them and burn them to DVD using Ulead Video Studio with no synch problems. Has anyone else encountered this problem - and solved it? I've heard that this is 'only' a bug in Preview mode, and that if I go on and just burn the project, the synch issue will have disappeared. However, I'm loath to waste a DVD trying this. I'm using entirely standard PAL presets. Any/all help very gratefully received. Cheers, Ian.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

When trying anything new with burning I can only recommend 'practicing' with rewritable media first. No expensive coffee mats that way.

Basically, try burning your project and see.

Also, try the following. Export from PPro as MPEG2 and build your timelines in Encore using those (M2V and WAV files - seperate video and sound files). This is what I do and to date have not seen your issue. But then again I haven't really done many DVDs either.

Thanks Millsy. Yeah, need to get me some DVD-RWs... What do you know of the general level of compatibility between DVD-RWs (as opposed to DVD-Rs) with 'set top' DVD players?

Being new to this environment, can you expand a little on your suggestion about "Export from PPro as MPEG2 and build your timelines in Encore". Cheers, Ian.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ian in Northampton
    Thanks Millsy. Yeah, need to get me some DVD-RWs... What do you know of the general level of compatibility between DVD-RWs (as opposed to DVD-Rs) with 'set top' DVD players?
    the web site for your set top player should enlighten you as to which blank media it is compatible with. Having said that, I've had no troubles with anything I've tried in mine. I might be lucky though. I've had a bunbdle of coffee mats produced but that's the burn process I think rather than compatibility.

I'm not personally convinced thatt here is too much of a compatibility issue nowadays with any new DVD player. If you have a player that a couple of years old though then trial and error will likely be the order of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian in Northampton
    Being new to this environment, can you expand a little on your suggestion about "Export from PPro as MPEG2 and build your timelines in Encore". Cheers, Ian.
    You exported and produced an AVI. Export as MPEG2 is the native format for DVDs and this export produces the M2V and WAV files I mentioned, seperating the video and sound. Don't have it in front of me (cos I'm bunking off work to write this) so can't elaborate on the specific options you need. Read the appropriate 'how to export' chapters of your PPRo user guide.

Thanks again Millsy. Like you, I'm not doing what I should be doing right now... but I'll take a good look this evening ('er indoors permitting, of course). Cheers, Ian.

Just to close the loop on my original question: it seems that the out of synch problem is indeed an issue only in 'Preview' mode - so it's a pain, but liveable with. Now if only I could get the buttons to do what I want... I have four clips that make up the complete project. I want to be able to play each individually and then return to the main menu, but also have a 'Play All' button that will play the first, second and third then return to the main menu, with the fourth button a 'bonus feature' button that just plays that clip. I downloaded an excellent tutorial from a Mr. Wrigley (?) but I guess I'm just doing something wrong... Cheers, Ian.

Encore will do this quite happily. The play-all button i mean.

Dive into the manual and (I think you need to) look up 'override'.

However, it's made a lot easier in v1.5 apparently. Haven't got around to proving that yet but I know I've done this in v1.

If you have trouble learning this from the manual then I can recommend the following as a cheap book on Encore.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...928694-5334068

It's the book I bought while I was, er, evaluating the software and from this my very first project had buttons for playing each clip and then a play all button so it didn't prove so hard really.

Thanks Millsy. I've brought my copy of Encore in to work today so I can install it on my work PC (the IT people would doubtless have a fit...) and mess with it in my copious amounts of free time... I discovered late last night that I'd managed to screw up the entries you put on the 'button' properties with the entries you put on the 'timeline' properties, which didn't help. So today, I'll download two or three little .avi's off the web and try assembling them as a project with Encore. Well, it beats working... Cheers, Ian.

You must be SO busy at work. What do you do?

Don't tell me. Proffessional 'Father Christmas' eh? That's why you have some free time at the moment.

I'm a PR guy. There, that confirms everything you ever thought about PR, right? Cheers, Ian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast